Have you ever tried to reset your Instagram password, only to be met with the frustrating error message “we have encountered an error while resetting your password, please try again”? If so, you’re not alone.
Many Instagram users have reported running into this pesky error when trying to access their accounts.
The good news is this error can often be fixed with a few simple troubleshooting steps. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll dive into all the reasons why you might be seeing this error message and provide actionable solutions to successfully reset your Instagram password.
Why You Might Be Getting This Error Message
Before we get into the step-by-step troubleshooting methods, it’s important to understand why this error happens in the first place.
Here are the most common reasons behind the “we have encountered an error while resetting your password” message on Instagram:
Temporary Instagram Server Issues
One of the most common reasons for password reset errors is temporary glitches or outages on Instagram’s servers.
With millions of daily active users, it’s not uncommon for Instagram’s systems to encounter periodic hiccups. These usually resolve themselves within a few hours.
So if the Instagram app or website is working fine otherwise, the reset error could simply be due to short-term technical problems on their end.
Weak Internet Connectivity
Resetting your Instagram password requires stable internet access, whether it’s over Wi-Fi or mobile data.
A weak, unstable, or very slow connection can interrupt and disrupt the password reset process – hence resulting in errors.
So one of the first things to check is that you have a strong, high-speed internet connection on the device you’re trying to reset the password from.
Conflicts from Browser Cache/Cookies
If you’re attempting the password reset via the Instagram website on a desktop browser, cached browser data can sometimes conflict with the reset process and cause errors.
Clearing your browser’s cookies and cache can resolve such conflicts and allow the password reset to go through smoothly.
Incorrect Email Address
A very common slip-up is accidentally entering the wrong email address when initiating the Instagram password reset.
The error message will appear if the email address you enter doesn’t match or isn’t associated with your Instagram account.
Double and triple checking that you’re using the exact email address linked to your account is crucial before trying to reset your password.
Suspicious Login Attempts
If there have been suspicious login attempts or hacking related activity detected on your Instagram account recently, the platform automatically initiates additional security protocols and authentication requirements.
These extra security measures can sometimes interfere with the password reset process and trigger error messages, even if you’re the legitimate account owner attempting the reset.
Checking your account’s login activity and security notifications will clarify if suspicious activity is causing password reset failures.
Accounts that Instagram has placed restrictions on due to violations of their terms of service can also encounter problems or errors when trying to reset account passwords.
So if your account has been disabled or limited in the past due to policy breaches, it affects your ability to smoothly reset your login credentials.
Fixes for “We Have Encountered An Error While Resetting Your Password. Please Try Again” on Instagram
Now that you know why this frustrating error happens, let’s talk about the most effective troubleshooting methods to fix the problem and successfully reset your Instagram password:
1. Be Patient and Try Again Later
As we discussed earlier, one of the most common reasons behind password reset errors is temporary technical issues on Instagram’s back end.
Their servers are periodically overwhelmed by the billions of requests from worldwide users. Resetting account passwords requires stable server connectivity on their part.
When their systems undergo routine maintenance or encounter a sudden glitch, it can easily disrupt processes like password resets.
The first troubleshooting step is simply to wait patiently for a few hours and try again later. There’s a good chance the error will automatically resolve once Instagram engineers take a look under the hood and optimize their infrastructure.
Give it 6-12 hours before attempting another password reset. You can check Instagram’s Twitter account @instagram for updates if they acknowledge any ongoing outages. Using a third-party website like Downdetector also helps reveal if others are facing problems.
If the error still appears after 12-24 hours, move onto further troubleshooting steps. But in many cases, just letting some time pass takes care of these temporary hiccups.
2. Verify Stable, High-Speed Internet
As discussed earlier, weak internet connectivity interrupts the password reset process. Even if Instagram’s systems are functioning fine, an unstable connection on your side will lead to failure.
So your next step should be to switch to a strong and fast internet connection before trying the password reset again. Follow these checks:
- If you’re on Wi-Fi, ensure you have at least 3-4 bars of signal strength showing. If not, move closer to your wireless router to boost connectivity. Alternatively, connect using mobile data if it’s faster and more reliable in your location.
- Run a speed test using Speedtest.net or the internet provider’s official app. Verify you have at least 10-15 Mbps download speeds for stable connectivity.
- If your internet speeds are very slow, contact your ISP to troubleshoot or boost bandwidth. Reset your router and modem as well.
- Disable any VPN services or proxy connections that could interfere with internet speeds. Temporarily disconnect from them while resetting your Instagram password.
Once you have strong Wi-Fi or mobile data connectivity, attempt the password reset on Instagram again. Steady bandwidth ensures your request smoothly reaches their servers for processing.
3. Clear Browser Cache & Cookies
When trying to reset your Instagram password via a web browser, cached data and cookies can sometimes conflict with the reset process and cause frustrating errors.
Clearing this temporary data is an important troubleshooting step:
- On Chrome browser, go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Clear Browsing Data. Select browsing history, cache, cookies website data and ensure a time range of “all time” is chosen. Finally, click “Clear Data”.
- On Firefox browser, click the “hamburger” menu > Options > Privacy & Security > Scroll down and click “Clear Data” under Cookies and Site Data. Select “Clear” to confirm.
- Alternatively, you can manually delete Instagram cookies in particular instead of nuking all website data.
The key is removing any cached or temporary content that could interfere with smoothly resetting your Instagram password. Once cookies and cache are wiped, close then reopen your browser before attempting the password reset again.
4. Try Resetting Your Password on a Different Device
If you continue getting the error message on your current device and web browser combination, switch things up by attempting a password reset through another platform:
- Use Another Browser: Try alternative browsers like Safari, Microsoft Edge, Opera etc if Chrome or Firefox don’t work. Browsers manage cache/data differently.
- Use Instagram Mobile App: Initiate password reset via iOS or Android app if the website isn’t working.
- Use a Different Computer/Phone: Attempt password reset on another laptop, desktop computer or mobile device altogether.
The reason to try different hardware and software combinations is to isolate whether an issue with a specific browser or device ecosystem is causing Instagram password reset conflicts.
By successfully resetting your password on another device, you can at least regain access to your account, then dig deeper into why that original gadget has problems.
5. Double Check You Have the Correct Email Address
One simple slip-up that can lead to frustrating password reset errors on Instagram is entering an incorrect email address – either your own or by mistake.
- When you attempt a password reset, Instagram sends a reset link to the email address you associate with your account.
- If you even accidentally enter an incorrect email that’s not tied to your profile, it will of course fail with error messages.
Before going any further, carefully recheck that the email address you’re entering matches the one shown under your account’s Settings > Contact Info.
Also verify that the email inbox shows the full correct address – something like firstname.lastname@example.org instead of email@example.com.
Such minor typos can have big consequences, so double ensure your email is accurate!
6. Check Your Email Spam Folder
One of the most frustrating occurrences during Instagram password resets is having the validation link successfully delivered – but it lands in your email’s spam or junk folder!
When attempting another reset after facing errors, also check your email inbox’s spam folder before requesting another password link.
Under spam/junk folders and emails, look for any messages from Instagram or Facebook, as they own Instagram. The directions for accessing spam folders on major email providers are:
- Gmail app: Open app > Tap profile icon > Select Manage Labels > Tap Spam. Check for reset email.
- Gmail desktop: Open Gmail inbox > Click More on the left vertical menu > Select Spam. Scan for any emails from Instagram.
- Yahoo Mail: Click Folder icon above emails list > Select Spam folder. Search for Instagram email.
- Outlook.com: Open inbox > Select Junk > Potentially junk email folder. Look for reset link email.
- iCloud Mail: Open mailbox > Select Junk folder icon at bottom of emails list > Check for Instagram email.
Browse back weeks and months in your spam folders when checking – old password reset links could still be valid and are often buried in spam.
If you do discover the previous password validation links hidden away in spam, click the link to change your credentials instantly without resetting again.
And to prevent future Instagram emails from going into spam, mark the messages as “Not Junk”. Configure your email provider’s spam filter to allow emails from Instagram through to your main inbox.
7. Request an Instagram Password Reset Link Again
Despite your best troubleshooting efforts so far, the error frustratingly persists. Before you pull your hair out in despair, try requesting a fresh Instagram password reset link again from scratch:
- Open Instagram login page from mobile app or website browser
- Enter the correctly associated email address again
- Click password reset link option
- Carefully complete any displayed security captcha/text verification
- Submit request for reset link to your email
Sometimes previous reset requests don’t go through properly despite no obvious errors or notifications. The act of trying again from the start prompts their systems to send a new validation link to your email that successfully resets your password this time!
You’ve verified various factors above ruling them out as causes of the reset failure. Try your luck requesting a brand new reset email from Instagram to see if it magically works now without any real changes made. It’s surprising but effective in many cases!
8. Try Resetting Your Instagram Password via Facebook Account
If you originally set up your Instagram account using existing login credentials from a connected Facebook account, there is an additional password reset option available.
This alternative recovery method is hidden away in small print, but can be a lifesaver when traditional email validation links fail you.
To reset your Instagram password via Facebook:
- Visit Instagram.com and click ‘Log In’
- Below the normal email/username and password boxes, click ‘Need help?’ next to ‘OR’
- Choose the ‘Log in with Facebook’ option
- Enter your Facebook account email and password when prompted
- Check the box confirming you’re an account holder
- You’ll now get options to reset your Instagram password!
Because this method relies entirely on Facebook’s infrastructure, it circumvents any issues with Instagram’s own email and server systems. Leveraging their parent company’s login flows to regain access to your Instagram account often successfully triggers a password reset when usual methods hit errors.
Worth trying this creative solution if you connected your Instagram via Facebook earlier!
9. Reset Instagram Password on Mobile App Instead
Thus far we’ve covered a whole bunch of troubleshooting tricks when attempting a password reset via the Instagram website on a desktop browser.
As another creative solution, you could try initiating the password reset process through Instagram’s official iOS or Android apps instead:
- Download the Instagram app if you don’t have it installed already. Access is free.
- Launch the Instagram app and tap ‘Log In’
- Tap ‘Forgot password?’ below the login form
- Enter your username or connected email address
- Select password reset option
- Carefully complete any captcha verification steps shown
- Confirm reset link delivery to your email
Switching to Instagram’s native mobile apps isolates issues stemming specifically from desktop browsers or websites. Since apps function differently, transitioning the password reset process to iOS or Android emerges as an effective fix.
The mobile apps also tend to be more stable and have fewer intermittent connection problems in our experience. You bypass common website errors by accessing the same password reset flows through Instagram’s official mobile clients.
10. Disable VPN Services Temporarily
Do you utilize a Virtual Private Network (VPN) service to access the internet? While VPNs have valid use cases, they can also sometimes interfere with services like Instagram and cause account access issues.
VPN encryption added on top of your internet trafficflow adds complexity. Mix that with Instagram’s own security mechanisms can trigger password reset conflicts and failed verifications.
If you have any VPN software installed or browser extensions enabled that route your web traffic through an intermediary server location, consider temporarily disabling them.
Re-initiate the Instagram password reset process with the VPN disabled. Without that additional encryption layer, password reset links have an easier time reaching your email inbox successfully.
Popular VPN services that could potentially cause conflicts include NordVPN, ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access and TunnelBear. But disables any tools that mask or reroute your true internet traffic while debugging Instagram access issues.
11. Change Your Password on a Trusted Mobile Device
Finally regained access to your Instagram account after battling through password reset errors? Hurray!
We highly recommended immediately changing your account password completely. Rather than simply resetting the existing one, configure an entirely new strong password:
- Launch the Instagram app on your mobile device
- Tap profile icon > Settings > Security > Password > Change Password
- Enter an old password if still known
- Configure a tough new password for enhanced security
Setting change your Instagram password on a mobile device you personally own and frequently access is safer. It avoids any risks with public, borrowed or compromised computers that could have lingering security vulnerabilities.
Choosing a strong and unique new password also reduces chances of future account hijacking by outsiders. Enable two-factor authentication as an extra protective layer where possible.
12. Enable Two-Factor Authentication on Your Account
Speaking of extra account security, two-step verification is an absolute must for all accounts – especially influential Instagram profiles.
Once two-factor authentication is enabled, resetting your Instagram password requires access both to your associated email address and the special verification code displayed on your mobile device.
This adds an additional credential check before password changes or resets can be made. Here is how to switch on two-factor and strengthen account security:
- Open Instagram Settings > Security
- Select Two-Factor Authentication
- Choose Authentication App or Text Message preferences
- Follow on-screen instructions to configure 2FA security codes
Going forward, anytime Instagram detects suspicious reset attempts or anomalies suggesting hacking attempts, the perpetrator also requires access to your phone or the special time-sensitive 2FA passcode displayed only to you.
This significantly improves your Instagram account security from unauthorized password resets or takeover attacks.
How to Prevent Instagram Password Reset Problems
We’ve explored a very comprehensive step-by-step troubleshooting guide focused specifically on fixing frustrating “we have encountered an error while resetting your password” messages on Instagram.
While the solutions and tips outlined earlier resolve the problem after you encounter it, prevention is always better than the cure.
Here are some key ways to avoid running into Instagram password reset issues in the first place:
Create a Strong, Unique Password
When first setting up your Instagram account (or changing passwords periodically), be sure to configure a strong and unique credential that cannot be easily guessed or cracked.
Your password should have a mix of uppercase and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols. Avoid dictionary words, repeat characters, number sequences or personally identifiable data like your name, email address or birthdays.
Randomly generated passwords using tools like Password Generator give high levels of uncrackable security.
Avoid Password Reuse Across Sites
A common security habit that can indirectly contribute to Instagram lockouts is reusing the same password across multiple websites or social media accounts.
Even if you follow password best practices on Instagram specifically, account breaches on a secondary website puts your Instagram profile at severe risk if the credentials overlap anywhere.
Practice unique, strong passwords for every site and app to isolate breach impacts and stop lateral access spread. Rely on trusted password manager apps to both generate and remember all your access credentials securely.
Keep Software Updated
On your smartphone device, computer, web browsers and any apps related to accessing Instagram – enable auto app updates for security patches. Developers constantly fix vulnerabilities that could be exploited by hackers to compromise accounts.
Maintaining latest security updates on software minimizes the risk of intrusions that could trigger password reset blocks. Jailbroken iOS devices or rooted Androids lose critical system protections, increasing hack risks.
Review Login Notifications
Instagram provides detailed login activity feeds showing location, device and timestamp data for all account access attempts.
Frequently check your settings login history for unfamiliar device entries that suggest compromise or unauthorized access. Quickly initiate password resets or other security measures if you discover suspicious records.
Enabling login notifications via SMS or push alerts also gives real-time visibility into risky attempts to access your profile.
If you continue facing login issues even after successfully resetting your Instagram password, you may be dealing with a separate account access problem. Read our detailed troubleshooting guide on what to do if you can’t log in to Instagram to uncover additional potential reasons and solutions
Instagram password resets failing with error messages can be immensely annoying, especially when you desperately need access to your account. However, with some focused troubleshooting using the step-by-step guidance outlined here, you should be able to regain entry to your profile in no time.
The key is methodically checking connectivity, devices, browser factors, email spam filters, and alternate reset options via Facebook. Enabling two-factor authentication is also a wise preventative security measure once you successfully reset your Instagram password.
With the comprehensive fixes provided in this post, those password reset errors will be a thing of the past. And you’ll be able to keep sharing photos and connecting with friends without missing a beat!