TikTok sends various notifications to you to keep you updated on activity happening within the app. Understanding when you’ll receive TikTok notifications can help you manage your experience on the platform.
In this detailed guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about TikTok notifications including:
Types of TikTok Notifications
TikTok sends users several different types of notifications to keep you in the loop. The main categories are:
1. Social Interactions
These notifications inform you of engagement happening on your own content.
- Likes: You’ll receive a notification when someone likes your video. This is likely the most common notification TikTok sends.
- Comments: TikTok will notify you when someone comments on your video. You’ll also get notifications for reply comments and mentions within comments.
- Follows: You’ll get notified if a new user decides to follow your account. This helps you keep tabs on your growing TikTok follower count.
- Mentions: If another user mentions your @ handle in their video caption or tags you in their video, you’ll get an alert.
- Duets/Stitches: When someone duets or stitches your video, creating their own video with your content, you’ll be notified.
- Direct Messages: Receive instant notifications when you get new messages from other users.
2. Activity From Accounts You Follow
Stay updated on the accounts you follow with these notifications:
- New Videos: When any account you follow posts a new video, you can get a notification. This makes it easy to watch the latest content from your favorite creators.
- Livestreams: If someone you follow starts broadcasting live and you have live stream notifications enabled, you’ll be notified.
3. Suggested Content
TikTok uses its recommendation algorithm to send alerts on content you may like:
- Suggested Videos: TikTok will recommend videos based on your interests and viewing history. Turn these notifications on to discover new videos and creators you may enjoy.
- Trending Videos: Get notified about currently viral videos or challenges. TikTok curates trending content from across the platform.
4. Account Updates & Reminders
TikTok sends notifications to keep your account safe and remind you to use the app:
- Security Reminders: Important updates about new security features or changes to your account settings will be communicated via notifications.
- Features & Updates: When TikTok rolls out new features or updates the app, they may send notifications to prompt you to try them out.
- Activity Reminders: If you haven’t been active on TikTok in a while, they may send notifications encouraging you to check out new videos or re-engage with the app.
5. Additional Alerts
Depending on how you use TikTok, you may also receive notifications about:
- Gifts: Get notified when you receive virtual gifts from fans during live streams or on your videos.
- Gift Limits: TikTok will alert you if you’ve reached the daily gift-receiving limit.
- Monetization: If you participate in TikTok’s monetization programs, you’ll get notifications related to earnings and performance.
How to Customize Your TikTok Notifications
TikTok allows you to customize notification settings based on your preferences. Here’s how to update your notifications:
Access Notification Settings
- Open the TikTok app and tap the “Me” tab on the bottom right.
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the top right corner to open the menu.
- Select “Settings and privacy” then choose “Notifications”.
On the Notifications screen, you can:
- Toggle notifications on/off for certain activity types like likes, follows, comments, etc.
- Choose whether notifications pop up as banners or appear in your notification inbox.
- Enable/disable sounds for notifications.
- Control notifications for specific features like live streams, gifts, etc.
Take time to carefully adjust these settings to your liking. You can turn off notification types that you find distracting or unnecessary.
Manage Notifications From Accounts You Follow
Beyond overall notification settings, you can also control notifications from individual accounts:
- Visit the profile of the account you follow.
- Tap the three-dot menu button.
- Select “Turn on/off notifications”.
- Choose your notification preferences for that specific user.
Disable an account’s notifications if their frequent posting is overloading your notification inbox.
Push vs. In-App Notifications
Keep in mind, adjusting in-app notification settings does not affect push notifications sent directly to your device outside the TikTok app.
To manage push notifications:
- Go to your device’s settings.
- Select the TikTok app.
- Adjust the app’s permissions to send (or not send) push notifications.
Why You Receive Certain Notifications
Wondering why TikTok decides to send certain notifications your way? Here are some key reasons:
Keeping You Informed
Many TikTok notifications simply aim to keep you updated on activity that involves you and your content. Getting notifications for likes, comments, messages, follows, etc. helps you stay on top of engagement with your profile and videos.
TikTok has an incentive to send notifications that will boost your time spent in the app. Notifications about trending content, suggested videos, and reminders to post or check your feed get you engaged with the app again. This increases your overall interaction.
TikTok’s algorithms customize notifications by analyzing your interests and behavior on the platform. The more it learns about you, the more tailored notification suggestions you’ll receive.
For creators using TikTok’s monetization features, notifications help maximize earnings. Alerts about gifts, live streams, and program updates allow you to capitalize on revenue opportunities.
Notifying you about trending content, hashtags, and suggested videos helps lead you to new areas of the platform. This keeps TikTok feeling fresh and expands what types of videos you’ll interact with.
Driving Habit Formation
Frequent notifications reinforce checking TikTok constantly throughout the day. Reminders aim to make using the app a habit. This notification strategy increases overall time spent.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s go over some frequently asked questions about specific notification scenarios on TikTok:
Do I get notified when someone views my profile?
No, you will not get a TikTok notification when someone simply views your profile. The app does not alert users to profile visits.
Does TikTok notify me if someone saves my video?
TikTok does not send any notification when another user saves your video to their device or favorites it within the app. There is no alert for when your content is saved by someone.
Do I get notified when someone likes my video?
Yes, TikTok can be set up to send you push and in-app notifications every time someone likes your video. You’ll get an alert displaying the username whenever someone taps the heart icon on your content.
Does TikTok notify me if someone screenshots my content?
No, TikTok does not directly notify users if someone takes a screenshot of images or videos on their profile. However, many creators add watermarks encouraging viewers not to screenshot their content without permission.
Does TikTok notify me if someone screen records my videos?
Unfortunately TikTok does not send any notification if another user screen records your videos. Many creators try to discourage unauthorized recording by speaking directly to viewers or using on-video graphics.
Do I get notified when someone shares my video?
Yes, if someone taps the share button on your video and shares it publicly to their feed or privately via direct message, you will receive a notification from TikTok alerting you to the share.
Does TikTok notify me when I gain new followers?
Yes, you can enable push and in-app notifications that will alert you any time a new user follows your TikTok account. This helps you track your follower growth.
Does TikTok send notifications about account logins?
TikTok does send important email notifications related to your account security. You’ll get alerts for suspicious login attempts, password changes, etc. These help protect your account.
Can I control if I get notified of likes on my posts?
Yes, you have customizable control within TikTok’s notification settings to choose if you receive notifications for likes on your videos. Toggle notifications on for all likes, only certain accounts, or turn off entirely.
Does TikTok notify someone if I view their profile?
No, profile views are private. No notification will be sent if you view someone’s TikTok profile. They will only know if you interact further by liking videos, commenting, etc.
Does blocking someone notify them?
Yes, if you block another TikTok user their account will receive a notification alerting them that you have blocked them. This prevents issues like harassment.
Do I get notified if someone favorites my video?
Unlike likes, TikTok does not currently send notifications when your video is added to a user’s favorites list. You will not be directly notified unless they engage further by commenting.
Why am I suddenly getting more TikTok notifications?
If you notice an increase in notifications, it likely means your account is gaining momentum and earning more engagement. Your videos are being discovered by new viewers interested in interacting.
Why did my TikTok notifications suddenly stop?
If your notifications cut off abruptly, check your device notification settings. Push notifications may have been disabled manually or via a software update. Also ensure TikTok has notification access enabled.
Does TikTok notify you if someone screen records your video?
No, there is unfortunately no screen record notification sent directly within TikTok if another user saves a copy of your video via screen recording. Many creators try to discourage this by speaking directly to their audience about only supporting original content.
Do TikTok notifications get sent for screenshotting content?
No, TikTok cannot detect or send notifications when users take screenshots of images or videos from within the app. Some creators try calling out screenshots in their content or videos to dissuade unauthorized copies.
Will I get a TikTok notification if someone views my profile?
Viewing profiles privately does not trigger any type of TikTok notification or alert. You will only know if someone engages with your profile in a public way, like commenting on your content. Profile views themselves remain anonymous.