Many users face issues with TikTok verification codes not working when they try to create a new account or reset their password.
This can be frustrating, but there are several troubleshooting steps you can take to fix the problem.
In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through all the potential causes and solutions to try when your TikTok verification code is not working.
Understanding TikTok Verification Codes
First, let’s understand what TikTok verification codes are and when you may need to use them:
- New account creation – When you sign up for a new TikTok account, you need to enter a 6-digit verification code sent to your phone number to complete the registration process. This confirms you own the phone number you provided.
- Password reset – If you forget your TikTok password, you can request a reset link. TikTok will send a 6-digit verification code to your registered phone number which you’ll need to enter to set a new password.
- Changing phone number – If you want to change the phone number associated with your TikTok account, you’ll go through a verification process that involves entering a sent code.
- Enabling two-factor authentication – TikTok has an optional two-factor login authentication feature that sends a login code to your phone for extra security.
So in summary, TikTok uses SMS verification codes in several cases to confirm your identity and authorize important account changes. If these codes are not working, you will be unable to complete the requested tasks.
Why Your TikTok Verification Code May Not Be Working
There are a few common reasons why you may encounter issues with TikTok verification codes not sending or working correctly:
1. Incorrect Phone Number Entered
Double check that the phone number you entered on TikTok is correct and corresponds to the device you are checking for the code. Even a small typo will mean the code goes to the wrong number.
2. Phone Number Changed or Inactive
If you changed your phone number or provider since creating your TikTok account, the verification codes will no longer work. TikTok also may not be able to send codes to inactive or invalid numbers.
3. Poor Cell Reception
Spotty cell service or no signal bars can interfere with receiving SMS messages. Move to an area with better reception and try requesting a new TikTok verification code.
4. Phone Storage Full
If your phone says storage is full, you may not receive new text messages until you clear space. Delete apps, photos or messages to open up storage for the TikTok code SMS.
5. Wrong Country Code Set on Phone
TikTok may struggle to send the verification message if your phone’s country code does not match the one associated with your TikTok account phone number.
6. SIM Card Not Properly Installed
Take out your SIM card and ensure it is correctly oriented and fully snapped into the SIM slot to avoid SMS issues.
7. Do Not Disturb Mode On
If your phone is set to Do Not Disturb, it will block notifications for verification codes. Turn off DND mode before requesting a TikTok verification code.
8. Phone Number Blocking Apps
Some call blocking apps and services can also block important SMS messages like TikTok verification codes. Try disabling them temporarily.
9. SMS Cap Limit Reached
Most cell providers have a limit on the number of SMS messages you can send/receive per month. If you went over the cap, verification codes may not come through.
10. TikTok Server Issues
Like any app, TikTok’s servers may undergo intermittent maintenance or outages that affect verification code sending. Check their status page for notifications.
By understanding the most common reasons your TikTok verification code may not be working, you can now better pinpoint the issue. Next, we’ll go through different troubleshooting steps and solutions.
How to Fix TikTok Verification Code Not Working
Follow these step-by-step instructions to diagnose and fix any problems you have with receiving or using TikTok verification codes:
Fix 1: Check for Typos in Phone Number
Log into your TikTok account and ensure your saved phone number is 100% accurate and does not contain any typos.
Even one wrong digit means codes will go to the incorrect number. Carefully check each digit and character in the phone number. Also verify any country code or area code is correctly entered. Update the phone number if needed.
Fix 2: Use a Different Registered Number
If you have added multiple phone numbers to your TikTok account, try switching the verification method to use a different registered number you have access to.
See if the verification code works when sent to the alternative number.
Fix 3: Try Disabling Call/Text Blockers Temporarily
Switch off or disable any call blocking services, apps or features you use for a short test. This includes things like Hiya, RoboKiller, or phone provider call blocking.
Request a new TikTok verification code with any call/text blockers disabled to rule them out as the cause.
Fix 4: Change SIM Card Placement
Eject the SIM card tray from your smartphone and remove your SIM card. Inspect the SIM card for any damage or dust/debris.
Use a soft lint-free cloth to gently clean the contacts. Check that the SIM card is properly aligned in the tray before carefully snapping the tray back into place. Misaligned or dislodged SIM cards can lead to SMS issues.
Fix 5: Update Carrier Settings
On an iPhone, go to Settings > General > About and tap your carrier name (for ex. Verizon) to refresh carrier settings which can resolve SMS delivery problems. Wait for the update to complete. Also ensure your iPhone’s operating system is updated to the latest iOS version for optimal connectivity.
Fix 6: Reset Network Settings
Go to your smartphone’s network settings menu and select the option to “Reset Network Settings.” This will refresh the cellular connection and can fix code issues caused by connectivity problems.
Note that it may also reset WiFi networks and Bluetooth connections so you’ll need to re-enter those passwords.
Fix 7: Verify Country Code
Check that your phone or mobile plan’s country code matches what TikTok expects for the phone number tied to your TikTkok account.
For example, TikTok may try sending codes using the US country code +1 while your device uses a different nation’s code. Update the number if needed.
Fix 8: Try Other Cell Networks/WiFi
Attempt to receive the TikTok verification code over different mobile data networks (like switching between 3G/4G/5G) or connect to a different WiFi network to see if the code delivers successfully.
This helps determine if the issue is isolated to one network.
Fix 9: Use an Alternative Number Temporarily
As a test, add and verify a close friend or family member’s phone number to your TikTok account.
Then try having the TikTok verification code sent to their number instead to see if it arrives properly on a different device and phone line.
Fix 10: Update TikTok App
Go to your device’s app store (Google Play Store, App Store), search for the TikTok app, and check for any available updates.
Install the latest app version which may contain bug fixes impacting verification codes. Also, update your smartphone OS if behind.
Fix 11: Uninstall and Reinstall the TikTok App
If all else fails, uninstall the TikTok app from your phone, power cycle the device, and then re-download and install a fresh TikTok app from the app store.
This resets the app and its data connections which may resolve hiccups.
Fix 12: Contact TikTok Customer Support
Reach out to the official TikTok customer support team via their help site, Twitter or email. Explain your verification code issue and troubleshooting steps you’ve tried. They may be able to further assist if you cannot determine the cause yourself.
To reach out to TikTok support:
- Open the TikTok app on your device.
- Go to your profile page by tapping the profile icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap the hamburger icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Settings and Privacy” from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll down and tap “Report a problem.”
- Select the type of problem you are experiencing from the list of options provided.
- Follow the prompts to provide more information about the problem.
- Tap “Submit” to send your report to TikTok support.
Once you have submitted your report, TikTok support will review it and respond to you as soon as possible.
Receiving TikTok Verification Codes Faster
When you successfully receive a TikTok verification code, it is typically sent within seconds after requesting one. However, sometimes there can be delays causing codes to take minutes or longer to arrive.
Here are tips to speed up receiving TikTok verification codes:
- Restart your phone which clears out old data and refreshes your network connections for faster messaging.
- Enable a cellular data connection instead of relying on WiFi which may have interference. Check that you have strong mobile data signal.
- Turn off battery saver modes which can slow down background processes needed for timely SMS delivery.
- If you have an iPhone, turn off iMessage which sometimes incorrectly routes standard text messages.
- Clear old conversations and notifications to free up memory which helps incoming verification codes process quicker.
- Update to the latest version of the TikTok app itself for optimal performance. New versions may have speed improvements.
- Avoid switching between other apps after requesting a TikTok code. Stay in TikTok so the SMS can come in without other disruptions.
Keeping these suggestions in mind can ensure you receive TikTok verification codes to register your account as quickly as possible.
What To Do If Verification Code Issues Persist
With the comprehensive troubleshooting steps outlined in this guide, you should be able to get TikTok verification codes working again in most situations. However, if you still cannot receive or use codes successfully after trying all recommended fixes, here are some next steps:
- File a support ticket with TikTok via in-app support or their help site describing your specific issue and what you’ve tried already. The support team may be able to further assist if you cannot resolve it yourself.
- Check DownDetector or social media for any reports of widespread TikTok technical issues on the day you experienced problems. This can confirm if it’s a broader platform outage.
- As a last resort, attempt creating your TikTok account completely from scratch with a brand new phone number not previously tied to any TikTok profile.
- Try the verification process again later in the day or the next day in case transient server troubles were occurring when you initially tried.
- Consider using an alternative number not tied to your account, like a family member’s phone, to receive the verification code successfully.
While TikTok verification codes fail occasionally, most problems can be resolved with intelligent troubleshooting. Reach out for help from their support team if you are still stuck after trying all recommended steps. Being persistent pays off.
TikTok verification codes failing can prevent you from logging in or accessing your account. Thankfully, by methodically troubleshooting the issue, testing different networks, clearing app data, and contacting TikTok support if necessary, you can resolve most problems that arise.
The detailed tips in this guide should provide a complete resource to help diagnose and fix TikTok verification code errors. Remember to stay patient, double-check simple issues first, and don’t be afraid to ask TikTok’s support team for assistance.
With these practical instructions, you can get SMS verification working again smoothly. Enjoy seamlessly accessing your TikTok account and all the features you love after sorting out any pesky verification code problems. Don’t let a small tech hiccup lock you out from the fun of creating and engaging with videos on TikTok.