Have you ever tried to log into TikTok by scanning a QR code, only to find that it doesn’t work? This frustrating issue can happen for various reasons.
Not to worry though – in most cases, it’s possible to get TikTok QR code login working again with a few simple troubleshooting steps.
In this blog post, we’ll start by understanding why your TikTok QR code login may not be working. We’ll then provide step-by-step instructions to try and get QR code login functioning properly once more.
Why Your TikTok QR Code Login May Not Be Working
There are a few common reasons why TikTok’s QR code login feature may fail:
Outdated App Version
If you haven’t updated the TikTok app on your smartphone lately, an outdated version could be the culprit. New app updates often contain bug fixes and improvements to features like QR code login.
Temporary Technical Issues
Like any technology, TikTok’s systems are bound to run into temporary glitches or technical problems at times. Issues like server outages could impact QR code login functionality. These are usually resolved within hours or a few days at most.
Weak Internet Connection
To scan a TikTok QR code, your smartphone needs to be connected to the internet. A weak wifi signal or limited mobile data connectivity can disrupt the login process sometimes.
Browser Cache or App Issues
Over time, small errors can accumulate in your browser cache or the TikTok app data stored on your phone. Clearing this data resets things to ensure better performance.
Now that we know what’s likely causing trouble, let’s move on to the step-by-step solutions.
How to Fix TikTok QR Code Login Not Working
Fix 1 – Ensure You’re Logged Into TikTok on Your Phone
Before troubleshooting further, check whether you’re currently signed into the TikTok app on your smartphone.
- Open the TikTok app
- Check if your profile information and “Me” tab content appears properly within the app
- If you are signed in, you can move on to Step 2.
- If you can’t access your account, sign in manually using your username and password
Signing in manually first will authenticate your account properly before debugging the QR code login functionality.
Fix 2 – Log Out Of TikTok and Log In Again On Your Phone
Logging out and back into TikTok essentially refreshes your login status from scratch. Here is how to log out and log in again:
- In the TikTok app, tap the “Me” tab on the bottom right
- Next tap the three horizontal line menu button on the top right corner
- Choose “Log out” from the menu options.
- Confirm logging out in the pop-up prompt
- You will be returned to the TikTok login page. Enter your username and password here to log in again fully.
Re-authenticating your login often resolves intermittent technical issues.
Fix 3 – Clear Cache of Your Browser
If trying to scan your TikTok QR code using a web browser like Chrome or Safari, clearing your browser cache and data is the next logical step.
To clear the cache on Chrome, follow these steps:
- Open Chrome on your computer.
- At the top right of the browser window, click the three dots icon.
- From the dropdown menu, select “More tools” and then “Clear browsing data.”
- In the “Time range” section, select the amount of data you want to clear. You can choose from “Last hour,” “Last 24 hours,” “Last week,” “Last 4 weeks,” or “All time.”
- Check the boxes next to the types of data you want to clear. For example, if you want to clear your cache and cookies, check the boxes next to “Cached images and files” and “Cookies and other site data.”
- Click the “Clear data” button.
Once you have cleared your cache, Chrome will restart. You may notice that some websites load a little slower at first, as Chrome will need to download new copies of the cached files. However, your browsing experience should be faster and more secure overall.
Here are some additional tips for clearing your cache on Chrome:
- You can also clear your cache by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Delete (Windows) or Command + Shift + Delete (Mac) on your keyboard.
On Safari Browser
- In the menu bar, click on Safari > Clear History and Website Data
- Select “all history” and change other settings to match the screenshot below
- Click the clear history button
Clearing cached browser data forces the login process to start fresh, helping bypass any corrupt files.
Fix 4 – Try Logging Into TikTok in Incognito Mode
Incognito mode in browsers provides a clean slate environment without any cached data interferring behind the scenes. Give this a shot next:
On Chrome Browser
- Click the 3-dot menu button in the top right
- Choose “New incognito window” from the menu
- In the new incognito window, open TikTok’s QR code scanner page
- Hover over the QR code on your screen to scan it.
On Safari Browser
- Click File > New Private Window to open an incognito window
- Access TikTok’s QR code login page
- Scan the QR code in this private browsing session
If incognito mode helps fix the scanning process, the issue likely lies with corrupt browser cache problems on your device.
Fix 5 – Close and Reopen the TikTok App
Sometimes simply restarting the TikTok app properly refreshes things behind the scenes on your smartphone:
- Completely close the TikTok app so it is not running in the background
- Reopen TikTok freshly and let it load up completely
- Try scanning your QR code again
Restarting the app reloads all required code libraries and resets locally stored data.
Fix 6 – Retry Scanning the QR Code
If your TikTok QR code isn’t working, a simple but effective method to get it resolved is by trying again.
Follow these simple steps to log in to TikTok with QR code:
- Open TikTok on the new device you want to use to log into your account.
- Click on “Use QR Code.” You’ll be taken to the “Log in with QR code” page.
- Open the TikTok app with the device on which you’re already logged into your TikTok account.
- Go to your profile and tap on the hamburger icon (☰) in the upper right corner.
- Tap on “My QR code” and tap on the scanner icon at the top right corner to open the camera.
- From here, scan the code on the TikTok website.
- You should see “QR code scanned” on the new device.
- Tap on “Confirm” on the device you’re already logged into. TikTok will log you into your account on the new device.
- If the QR code expires, try again.
Fix 7 – Clear the TikTok App Cache
Just like web browser caches, clearing stored app data solves plenty of mobile app issues:
- Go to your Android Settings
- Select “Apps” or “Application Manager”
- Tap on “TikTok” in the apps list.
- Choose “Storage”, then tap “Clear Cache.”
- Head to iOS Settings > General > iPhone Storage
- Select TikTok from the list of apps
- Tap “Offload App” to completely remove TikTok and associated data
- Reinstall TikTok freshly from the App Store
- Set up your account and QR code login again
This wipes temporary problem-causing files from TikTok and gives you a fresh start.
Step 7 – Update the TikTok App
With apps updating all the time, running an outdated TikTok version could make QR codes not work properly:
- Open the Google Play Store
- Search for “TikTok”
- If an “Update” button shows, tap it to download latest version.
- Go to App Store > Search for “TikTok”
- If an “Update” button shows, tap it to download latest version
Updating provides under-the-hood performance fixes and security enhancements.
Step 8 – Reinstall TikTok
If your troubleshooting hasn’t succeeded yet, completely removing and reinstalling TikTok gives you the best shot at fixing QR login problems:
- Delete TikTok from your smartphone
- Download the app afresh from Google Play or App Store
- Setup your TikTok account from scratch and attempt QR code login again.
This rules out any residual corrupted files affecting TikTok’s functionality.
Step 9 – Report The Issue to TikTok
Despite your best troubleshooting efforts, TikTok’s QR code system itself may still have a wider technical problem:
- In TikTok, go to your profile and open settings.
- Tap “Report a Problem” and select relevant issue types.
- Submit full details so the TikTok support team can look into it.
TikTok staff regularly work to fix reported bugs and improve features. Reporting issues helps them resolve teething troubles faster.
We hope this guide covered the full range of troubleshooting steps to get TikTok QR code login working properly again on your device. Let us know in the comments if any other fixes did the trick for you!