TikTok’s live wallpapers are a fun way to liven up your home screen with short video clips. However, many users have reported issues getting TikTok live wallpapers to work properly on both Android and iPhone devices.
In this detailed guide, we’ll cover the main reasons why you may be getting the “Live Wallpaper Not Supported” error message in TikTok, along with step-by-step troubleshooting instructions to help you get TikTok live wallpapers working again on your device.
Why Is My TikTok Live Wallpaper Not Working?
There are a few common reasons why TikTok live wallpapers may not be functioning or showing as supported on your Android or iOS device:
Outdated App Version
TikTok frequently rolls out updates to their app, and sometimes new live wallpaper features or compatibility fixes are included in these updates. If you haven’t updated TikTok in a while, an outdated app version could be preventing live wallpapers from working.
Unsupported Device Model
TikTok live wallpapers are only designed to work on specific iPhone and Android models. If you have an older or less common device, it may not be supported. Trying to use live wallpapers on unsupported devices will lead to errors.
Software or OS Issues
Problems with your device’s OS or software can sometimes break live wallpaper functionality in TikTok. Things like jailbreaking iPhones, rooting Android devices, or OS corruption issues can prevent TikTok wallpapers from working properly.
Glitches or Bugs
Like any app, TikTok can suffer from periodic glitches or bugs that cause problems with certain features. Live wallpaper issues arising suddenly in the app may simply stem from a temporary bug.
Restrictive Security Settings
Some device security features or parental control settings can block access to wallpapers and theming options. If your device has strict restrictions enabled, it may interfere with TikTok’s live wallpaper support.
Device Storage Issues
Your phone needs sufficient storage space to download and display live wallpaper files from TikTok properly. If you’re getting storage errors or running low on space, it can prevent wallpapers from working.
As you can see, there are a few common explanations for live wallpaper problems in TikTok for Android and iPhone. The good news is that most of these issues can be resolved with some simple troubleshooting and app updates.
How to Fix TikTok Live Wallpaper Not Working on Android
If you’re an Android user struggling to get TikTok’s live wallpaper feature working, follow these troubleshooting steps:
Step 1: Update the TikTok App
The first step is to make sure you’re running the latest version of TikTok on your Android device:
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Search for TikTok.
- If an “Update” button appears, tap it to download the newest TikTok version.
- If prompted, accept any app permissions or updates needed.
Installing the most up-to-date TikTok app will give you access to the newest live wallpaper features and bug fixes.
Step 2: Check if Your Android Model is Supported
TikTok live wallpapers only work on certain Android models and operating system versions. To check compatibility:
- Access your device settings.
- Tap “About phone” or “Device information”.
- View the model name and Android OS version.
- Check TikTok’s support articles to confirm your device model and OS are listed as compatible.
If your device is unsupported, unfortunately, the live wallpapers won’t work on it. You’ll need a supported Android model to use the feature.
Step 3: Allow Required App Permissions
For live wallpapers to work, TikTok needs access to certain features and permissions on your device:
- Go to your phone Settings > Apps & Notifications > TikTok.
- Make sure permissions like Storage, Contacts, Phone, are enabled.
- Tap permissions like Wallpaper and Modify System Settings and select “Allow”.
Granting these key permissions to TikTok in your Android settings enables full live wallpaper functionality.
Step 4: Clear TikTok App Data/Cache
Clearing your TikTok app data and cache can wipe out bugs or glitches preventing wallpapers from loading:
- Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > TikTok.
- Tap “Storage and Cache” then “Clear Cache” to delete temporary files.
- Tap “Clear Data” to reset the app and wipe user data.
- Open TikTok and re-login to your account if needed.
- Try using a live wallpaper again.
Wiping the TikTok app cache and data forces the app to fully reload which may resolve any corrupt files or data causing live wallpaper issues.
Step 5: Check for Android OS Interface Issues
System-level Android issues can also disrupt TikTok’s wallpapers. To check:
- Make sure your Android OS is up to date by going to Settings > System > System Update. Install any available updates.
- Boot your device into Safe Mode and try using a TikTok live wallpaper. If it works in Safe Mode, it indicates an OS-level issue is to blame.
- Try resetting all system settings back to default under Settings > System > Reset options > Reset app preferences.
- As a last resort, back up your device and perform a factory reset to wipe the phone and reinstall Android from scratch.
If the live wallpaper works in Safe Mode but still not normally, an interface issue with Android is likely preventing TikTok from setting wallpapers properly. A full factory reset should clear out any glitches.
Step 6: Uninstall and Reinstall TikTok
If you’re still seeing the “live wallpaper not supported” error in TikTok for Android, uninstalling and reinstalling the app may fix it:
- Back up any TikTok videos or data you want to keep.
- Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > TikTok and tap “Uninstall”.
- Restart your phone.
- Go back to the Google Play Store and re-download the TikTok app. Log in to your account.
- Try changing your wallpaper to a live TikTok background.
Removing and reinstalling the TikTok app forces it to fully reconfigure itself to your device which can clear up live wallpaper issues stemming from corrupt app files or data.
Following these troubleshooting steps should help you isolate and resolve any problems that are preventing TikTok live wallpapers from working correctly on your Android device.
How to Fix TikTok Live Wallpaper Not Working on iPhone
For iPhone users who can’t get TikTok live backgrounds to enable properly, follow these steps to troubleshoot:
Step 1: Update to Latest iOS Version
Outdated system software can cause compatibility issues for new TikTok features like live wallpapers.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Download and install any iOS updates available for your iPhone model.
Updating to the newest iOS version will ensure your device has the proper frameworks in place for TikTok’s live wallpaper support.
Step 2: Update TikTok App
Just like on Android, make sure you have the latest TikTok app from the Apple App Store:
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- Tap your profile icon at the top right.
- Scroll down to the TikTok app listing and check the version number.
- If an Update button is shown, tap it to download the newest app release.
The latest TikTok app will contain live wallpaper fixes and optimizations for iOS devices.
Step 3: Allow TikTok Access to Photos & Wallpaper Settings
In order for TikTok to set live wallpaper backgrounds, you need to grant the app permission:
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Photos. Ensure TikTok has access to your photos.
- Go to Settings > Wallpaper and enable TikTok’s access if prompted. This allows TikTok to change wallpapers.
- You may also need to enable Contacts, Camera, and Microphone access for certain live wallpaper features.
Tapping “OK” when prompted to allow TikTok access for camera, wallpaper, photos, contacts, etc will enable full live wallpaper functionality.
Step 4: Offload and Re-Install the TikTok App
If live wallpapers still won’t load, try offloading and re-installing the TikTok iOS app:
- Hold your finger down on the TikTok app icon until icons start wiggling.
- Tap the cloud icon above the TikTok app to offload it while keeping your data.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Go back to the App Store, search for TikTok, and re-download the app. Log in to your account.
Offloading deletes the app while retaining data so you can freshly re-install it and wipe out any glitches.
Step 5: Hard Reset Your iPhone
For persistent live wallpaper issues that prevent TikTok backgrounds from loading properly, perform a hard reset:
- Backup your iPhone data via iCloud or iTunes.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap “Erase All Content and Settings”.
- Configure your iPhone again once it restarts.
- Download TikTok, log in, and try live backgrounds again.
Resetting your iPhone back to factory default settings can eliminate any deeper iOS issues that may disrupt live wallpaper support in TikTok.
Step 6: Contact TikTok Support
If you still can’t resolve the live wallpaper problem in TikTok for iPhone after trying all troubleshooting steps, reach out to TikTok support:
- Tap “Me” > Settings & Privacy > Report a Problem in the TikTok app and provide details.
- Open a support ticket at TikTok’s Support Center.
TikTok support can further investigate issues and help diagnose any persistent problems unique to your account or device that prevent live wallpapers from functioning properly in the app.
With any luck, one of these troubleshooting tips should have gotten TikTok’s live wallpaper feature working again on your iPhone or Android device! Let us know in the comments below if you’re still experiencing issues setting live TikTok backgrounds as your wallpaper.