Are you having issues with the TikTok keyboard not working or not showing up on your device? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Many TikTok users have reported running into problems with the TikTok keyboard from time to time.
The good news is that in most cases, this issue can be easily fixed by trying out some basic troubleshooting steps.
Let’s take a look at the top reasons why you may be facing the TikTok keyboard not working problem and provide actionable solutions to get the keyboard back up and running.
Why Is My TikTok Keyboard Not Working?
Before we jump into the fixes, let’s first understand some of the common reasons why you may be facing the TikTok keyboard not working or not showing issue:
Internet Connectivity Issues
One of the most common reasons for the TikTok keyboard not working is spotty internet connectivity or using TikTok on a weak internet network. TikTok requires a stable internet connection to function properly.
If you are trying to use TikTok on a weak WiFi or cellular data network, it can cause issues with loading the keyboard.
TikTok Server Issues
Sometimes the issue may not be on your end but rather with TikTok’s servers. If the TikTok servers are down or undergoing maintenance, it can temporarily cause problems like the keyboard not loading properly. Checking TikTok’s status on third-party sites can reveal if they are having any known issues.
Like any app, TikTok can sometimes face minor software bugs or performance issues that lead to problems like the keyboard not working. Closing and reopening the app or installing app updates usually helps in such cases.
The TikTok app needs to run smoothly with your device’s operating system like Android or iOS. If your device’s OS is outdated or has software issues, it can prevent TikTok features like the keyboard from working correctly.
In rare cases, the issues may be associated with your TikTok account rather than your device. Trying to log out and back into your TikTok account can help troubleshoot account-specific problems.
Now that we know some of the potential reasons behind the annoying TikTok keyboard not working or showing issue, let’s go through some troubleshooting steps to fix it.
Step-by-Step Guide to Fix TikTok Keyboard Not Working
Follow these methods in order below to systematically resolve any problems with the TikTok keyboard:
1. Check Your Internet Connection
The first step is verifying that you have a stable internet connection. The TikTok keyboard requires persistent internet access to work properly.
Here are some things you can try to diagnose internet connectivity issues:
- If on WiFi, temporarily disable WiFi and cellular data and re-enable WiFi to force a fresh reconnect.
- Try moving closer to your WiFi router if the signal is weak in your location.
- Run an internet speed test (like fast.com) to check if your network speeds are very slow.
- If on cellular data, check if you have a weak signal or no bars. Move around or go outdoors to catch a cellular signal if indoors.
- Temporarily switch to a different WiFi network or use cellular data instead of WiFi to test.
Using TikTok on a faster, more reliable internet connection can help resolve keyboard issues caused by network problems.
2. Check for TikTok Server Issues
After ensuring that you have a strong internet connection, next verify if TikTok’s servers are up and running smoothly.
Sometimes server outages at TikTok’s end can cause problems like the keyboard not loading. Here are a couple of ways to check for TikTok server issues:
- Try opening the Twitter handles @TikTok_US or @TikTokSupport and going through latest tweets to see if they have reported any known issues or outages.
- Visit third-party sites like Downdetector that track user reports on app outages. Check if they are showing a spike in TikTok outage reports.
If it seems TikTok is undergoing server-side maintenance or facing a widespread partial outage, the keyboard problems should automatically resolve once TikTok’s services are restored. Just wait it out for some time until the issues are fixed by TikTok.
3. Force Close and Reopen TikTok
If there are no internet or server-side problems detected so far, the next troubleshooting step is to forcibly close and restart the TikTok app on your device.
Force closing the app essentially gives it a fresh start, clearing out any minor software glitches that may be interfering with the keyboard functionality.
- On Android, open the app switcher menu and swipe the TikTok app preview to the side or tap on the “X” close button to force stop it. Then launch TikTok again after a few seconds.
- On iOS, quickly double tap the Home button to show open apps. Swipe up on the TikTok app preview to force close it. Give it some time before restarting TikTok.
Reopening the app reloads all components like the keyboard. This small reset step can help restore full functionality in case of minor app issues.
4. Restart Your Device
If force closing TikTok did not work, the next step is to restart your Android phone or iOS device completely.
Restarting empties out the temporary memory caches and kills all running app processes on your device. This forces apps like TikTok to reload completely fresh after rebooting your phone.
- On Android phones, long press the Power button and tap “Restart” or “Reboot” to restart your device.
- On iPhones and iPads, press and hold either the Volume Up or Side button along with the Power button until you see the power off slider. Drag the slider to turn off your device. Wait for 30 seconds, then power your iOS device back on.
Give TikTok some time to fully load up once your phone or tablet has restarted, then check if its keyboard works now.
5. Log Out and Log Back Into TikTok
Logging out and back into your TikTok account essentially refreshes your account configuration. It can help troubleshoot account-specific issues that may be interfering with the keyboard.
- Open TikTok and tap on the “Profile” tab on the bottom.
- Tap on the three horizontal line menu button on the top-right corner.
- Choose the “Log out” option. Confirm logging out.
- Close the TikTok app completely from the background after logging out.
- Reopen TikTok after a minute or two and log back into your account with your username/email and password.
Many users have reported that simply logging out and logging back in makes the keyboard start working again in TikTok.
6. Install TikTok App Updates
Like all apps, TikTok periodically rolls out bug fix updates and performance improvements via app updates. If your TikTok app is outdated, it may be missing vital stability fixes and enhancements required for smooth keyboard functionality.
Checking for and installing TikTok app updates is an important troubleshooting step.
- On Android devices, open the Google Play Store app. Go to the “My Apps & Games” section. Tap on the “Update” button next to the TikTok app listing if available.
- On iOS devices, launch the App Store app and tap on your Profile icon on the top-right. Scroll down to see pending app updates. Check if TikTok is in the list and tap “Update” next to it.
Updating to the latest TikTok version can potentially fix keyboard problems resulting from app bugs.
7. Update Your Device’s Operating System
Similar to app updates, your device’s core operating system (OS) like Android and iOS also receives periodic fixes and optimizations.
Using an outdated OS version can create compatibility issues resulting in problems like TikTok keyboard malfunction. It is recommended to run the latest OS version supported by your device.
- For Android devices, open Settings -> System -> Advanced -> System update to check for any pending OS updates. Install available updates.
- On iOS devices, go to Settings -> General -> Software update. Install the latest iOS version showing up.
Updating your phone or tablet’s operating system can resolve TikTok keyboard issues caused by OS bugs.
8. Clear TikTok’s App Cache and Data
Over time as you use TikTok, your device builds up cached data and temporary app files. Large accumulations of cache and data files can sometimes corrupt the app behavior leading to problems like keyboard failures.
Clearing the TikTok app’s cache and data gives it a fresh start by erasing these temporary files:
- Open device Settings -> Apps -> TikTok app.
- Choose Storage & cache then proceed to tap on “Clear cache.”
- On iOS – Go to Settings -> General -> iPhone/iPad storage. Select TikTok app and tap on Offload app. Then launch TikTok again to redownload app
9. Uninstall and Reinstall the TikTok App
If all the previous troubleshooting steps did not restore functionality of the TikTok keyboard, your next resort should be uninstalling and reinstalling the TikTok app completely.
Reinstalling the app eliminates any deeply embedded issues, configuration errors that may be preventing the keyboard from loading properly.
Follow these instructions to remove and reinstall TikTok:
- On Android – Open Settings -> Apps -> Select TikTok -> Tap Uninstall. Also open Play Store -> My Apps & games -> Library tab-> Select TikTok and choose Uninstall here as well. Then go back to Play Store and search for TikTok to reinstall the app fresh.
- On iOS – Hold your finger down on the TikTok icon until the icons start shaking/jiggling. Tap on the cross “X” icon shown on the TikTok icon to delete the app. Go to the App Store, search for TikTok again and tap on Get to reinstall it.
Reinstalling the app from scratch often gets the keyboard working again on TikTok if all else fails.
10. Update or Change Your Keyboard App
Apart from the TikTok app itself, also consider troubleshooting your device’s keyboard app:
- Try updating the keyboard app you use (Gboard on Android, Apple’s default keyboard on iOS). Updated keyboard apps may fix compatibility issues.
- If possible, attempt switching to a different keyboard app altogether. For example, install Gboard instead of SwiftKey on Android or enable a third party iOS keyboard like Google’s Gboard.
Updating your phone’s keyboard app or changing to an alternate one can help resolve the keyboard not showing problem in TikTok in rare cases.
11. Contact TikTok Support
If none of the steps listed above fix the annoying issue of TikTok’s keyboard not working or showing, your last resort is to contact TikTok customer support directly:
- Open TikTok and submit feedback detailing your keyboard problem under Settings -> Report a Problem.
- File a keyboard trouble ticket at TikTok’s Support Center
- Post about your issue on TikTok’s Twitter handles @TikTokSupport or @TikTok_US requesting assistance
- Search online TikTok support phone numbers for your country and call them to explain your keyboard issue
TikTok’s developers and support team may be able to provide customized troubleshooting suggestions based on logs from your account and device details if they cannot resolve the problem themselves.