TikTok is one of the most popular social media apps, allowing users to watch, create and share short videos. However, like any app, TikTok can slow down over time as the cache builds up. Clearing the TikTok cache can help the app run more smoothly and fix issues like videos not loading.
The good news is, you don’t need to open the TikTok app to clear the cache. There are a few simple steps you can follow to clear the TikTok cache directly from your iPhone or Android device settings.
Why You May Need to Clear the TikTok Cache
Here are some common reasons why clearing the TikTok cache can be useful:
Fix Performance Issues
Over time, the TikTok cache accumulates old files, temporary data and other junk that can slow down the app. Videos have to load all of that cache data in addition to the actual video file, which bogs things down.Frames may drop, making videos choppy.
The app may even freeze up entirely requiring a force close. Clearing all that old cached data is one effective one to reduce TikTok storage space and memory so videos can load smoothly and the app performance feels snappy again.
Address Buggy Behavior
Sometimes bugs and glitches can appear in apps for no clear reason. The programming code may have a hiccup that causes visual abnormalities, sound issues or even app crashes.
Clearing the app cache essentially gives TikTok a fresh start, wiping any problematic cached files that could be contributing to bugs. A clean cache helps eliminate software quirks and odd behaviors.
Prepare for Updates
When a big TikTok update is released, installing it over a stale outdated cache can actually cause new issues. Old cache files may conflict with the new programming in updates.
That is why it is recommended to clear cache before updating any app. Wiping the cache provides a clean foundation for the update to install correctly and avoid any cache-related bugs.
If you feel like you’re seeing the same TikTok videos over and over in your feed, clearing the cache can provide a quick refresh. The cache stores temporary user data like your feed preferences and history.
Resetting it allows your feed to reload fresh videos as if you were a brand new user. This tricks the algorithm into showing new content it thinks you haven’t seen yet.
How to Clear TikTok Cache on iPhone without Opening the App
Clearing the TikTok cache on an iPhone is a quick and straightforward process that does not require opening the TikTok app. Here are the step-by-step instructions:
1. Open Settings App
- Tap on the Settings app icon on your iPhone’s home screen to launch the Settings menu. This is the central place where you can manage all your device and app settings.
2. Navigate to General
- In the Settings menu, scroll down and tap on the “General” option. The General settings deal with overall management of your iPhone.
3. Choose iPhone Storage
- Within General settings, you should see an option called “iPhone Storage”. Tap this to open your device storage management screen.
4. Select TikTok App
- On the iPhone Storage screen, you will see a list of apps installed on your phone along with their storage usage info. Locate “TikTok” in the list and tap on it to open the TikTok app’s storage settings.
5. Tap Offload App
- Near the top of the TikTok storage settings, you will see a button that says “Offload App”. Tap this button.
- Offloading the app removes it from your device storage while saving your data and videos. This essentially clears the app cache completely.
6. Reinstall TikTok
- To complete the cache clearing, you need to reinstall a fresh TikTok app. Open the App Store and reinstall TikTok like you normally would when downloading an app.
- Your TikTok data including videos, favorites, login info, etc will still be preserved after reinstalling. But the app will have a cleared cache.
And that’s it! Within a few minutes and without ever opening TikTok itself, you can clear the cache through iPhone Settings. This often resolves app performance issues.
How to Clear TikTok Cache on iPhone without Opening the App
The overall process is very similar for Android devices. You access the TikTok storage settings through your Android Settings menu:
1. Open Settings
- Locate and open the Settings app on your Android device. This gives you access to all device and app configurations.
2. Tap Apps or Application Manager
- In your Android Settings, look for an option called “Apps”, “Application Manager” or something similar. Tap this to open the app management screen.
3. Select TikTok
- You will see a list of all your installed apps. Tap on the TikTok app icon or name to enter TikTok’s app info screen.
4. Tap Storage or Cache
- Within the TikTok app info page, look for buttons labeled “Storage”, “Cache” or “Clear Cache”. Tapping these will reveal options to wipe the TikTok cache.
5. Tap Clear Cache or Clear Data
- You should see a button that says “Clear Cache” or something similar. Tap this button to delete the TikTok cache.
- On some devices you may need to “Clear Data” instead for full cache clearing.
6. Reinstall TikTok
- As the last step, go to the Google Play Store and reinstall a fresh TikTok app. This will complete the cache clearing procedure.
Again, the whole process only requires a few taps without opening TikTok itself. Give your Android device a quick cache refresh whenever the app is misbehaving or slowing down.
Alternative Ways to Clear Cache Without App
If you don’t want to uninstall TikTok to clear the cache, there are a couple alternative options:
- Use device cleaner apps – Downloading an app like 1Tap Cleaner provides a quick shortcut to wipe not just TikTok but all of your device app caches. These cleaner apps detect cached data and delete it in one tap.
- Clear all app caches – In Android Settings, see if there is an “All Apps” or “Reset App Preferences” option. Using this resets caches for all apps simultaneously so you don’t have to target just TikTok.
- Uninstall updates – You can uninstall app updates from your Android Settings. This reverts the app back to the original factory version, removing any updated caches.
While the above options won’t clear cache quite as completely as fully reinstalling TikTok, they take fewer steps so can be handy shortcuts.
When Clearing the Cache Doesn’t Work
Sometimes clearing the TikTok cache and reinstalling the app does not actually fix problems you may be experiencing. Here are some troubleshooting steps if the cache clear doesn’t successfully resolve your issues:
- Force stop the app – Within your device Settings, find and force stop TikTok from running in the background. Then launch it again to start fresh.
- Update TikTok – Make sure you have downloaded the most up-to-date version of TikTok in the app store. An outdated app can cause issues.
- Restart your device – Give your iPhone or Android a full restart/reboot after clearing cache. This refreshes the entire device and may solve persisting problems.
- Check internet connection – Issues like choppy video could be related to poor WiFi or mobile data connectivity. Make sure you have a strong signal.
- Free up storage space – Low storage on your device can contribute to app problems. Remove unneeded files and clear space.
- Update iOS/Android – Make sure your iPhone or Android is running the latest OS software version. Outdated operating systems can affect apps.
- Reinstall TikTok – Try fully uninstalling TikTok, restarting your device, then freshly reinstalling TikTok as a last resort.
For difficult app issues, you may ultimately need to contact TikTok support if these troubleshooting tips don’t get TikTok working properly again after clearing the cache.
Clearing the TikTok cache can quickly fix minor bugs, lagging videos, freezing, crashing and other common problems.
Thankfully both iPhone and Android make it easy to wipe the cache through your device settings without opening TikTok itself.
Just a few taps cleans out old junk data for a fresh start. Remember this simple trick whenever the app is acting up or slowing down. Keeping your caches cleared improves performance and stability for all apps.