The TikTok FYP (For You page) is the main feed that shows you recommended videos based on your interests and interactions. It’s the page you see when you first open the app. But sometimes the FYP can stop working properly and not load new videos or refresh.
If your TikTok FYP isn’t working, there are a few things you can try to get it up and running again.
In this detailed guide, we’ll go over the common reasons the FYP may not be working and the best troubleshooting steps to fix it.
Why Your TikTok FYP May Not Be Working or Loading
There are a few main reasons why your TikTok FYP may not be loading new videos or refreshing properly:
Internet Connectivity Issues
The most common reason for a broken FYP is some kind of interruption in your internet connection. TikTok requires a stable internet connection to load and play videos smoothly.
Issues like weak WiFi signals, cellular dead zones, or general connectivity problems can all prevent the FYP from functioning. If you’re experiencing frequent loading issues or videos not playing, check that your internet connection is strong and consistent first.
Outdated App Version
Another common culprit is needing an app update. If you don’t have the latest version of TikTok installed, certain features like the FYP may not work correctly.
TikTok releases frequent updates to fix bugs and improve features, so it’s important to keep the app up-to-date. An outdated version can definitely cause problems with your FYP loading and refreshing.
Server or API Issues
Sometimes the issues are on TikTok’s end, with problems on their servers preventing feeds from loading properly. Server outages or API issues on TikTok’s side can temporarily cause FYP problems for all users.
Usually these server-side issues are resolved within a few hours. If the FYP problems persist, it likely points to an issue with your device or connection.
Soft Ban or Shadow Ban
In rare cases, your account may have been temporarily soft banned or “shadow banned” by TikTok, which can block your FYP from refreshing normally.
This usually happens if you violated any community guidelines, like posting banned content. TikTok can impose temporary restrictions that mess with your FYP as a warning.
If you think your account may have been soft banned, you’ll need to appeal it with TikTok support to restore your full access.
Restricted Access Settings
Double check your account’s permissions and settings. In your digital wellbeing screen, make sure TikTok doesn’t have restricted access enabled, which can block the FYP from working right.
Parental controls or third-party restrictions could also be blocking the FYP if you’re logged into a child account.
Corrupted App Cache/Data
Finally, corrupted app data or a bloated cache can also sometimes impact the FYP. Clearing the app data forces TikTok to reset itself fully, which may resolve underlying software issues.
Now that you know what generally causes FYP problems, here are the best troubleshooting steps to get yours working again:
Fixes For TikTok FYP Not Working, Loading or Refreshing
Follow these solutions in order until your FYP starts properly loading and playing videos again:
1. Check Your Internet Connection
First make sure the problem isn’t your internet connection. Open a browser or other app that uses internet to double check that pages and content are loading normally.
If you have no connection at all or very slow speeds, restart your home WiFi router and modem and make sure your cellular data is enabled if on mobile.
Run an internet speed test to confirm your connection is fast and consistent enough to use TikTok properly. The FYP needs strong bandwidth to load smoothly.
If the internet is working fine outside TikTok, move down to the next steps.
2. Force Close and Reopen the App
An easy first step is to fully force close and reopen the TikTok app:
- On Android – Open your Recents/Multi-Tasking view, locate the TikTok app, and swipe it away to force stop it. Then launch TikTok again from your home screen or app drawer.
- On iOS – Double tap the Home button to open the App Switcher. Locate TikTok, swipe up on it to close, then relaunch it.
Restarting the app forces it to reload completely fresh, which could resolve any temporary glitches. Try scrolling through your FYP after reopening to see if new videos load.
3. Update the TikTok App
Make sure you’re running the latest version of TikTok. Open the App Store on iPhone or Play Store on Android and search for TikTok.
If an Update button is shown, tap it to download the newest version. The latest update may contain fixes that get the FYP working again.
You can also try updating your device software in Settings if you aren’t on the newest iOS/Android version, as that could help too. System updates can resolve app bugs.
4. Toggle Your Cellular Data/WiFi
If you’re on mobile data, try connecting to a WiFi network and reloading TikTok to see if it helps. Or if already on WiFi, turn off WiFi and use cellular data instead.
Toggle the internet connection to rule out any issues with your current network. Test the FYP on cellular data, WiFi hotspots, etc. to isolate the problem.
If your TikTok FYP won’t load, switching between cellular data and WiFi can be an effective way to resolve it.
5. Clear TikTok’s Cache and Data
Over time, corrupted temporary app files and caches can build up and cause glitches. Clearing the cache and app data forces TikTok to rebuild them fresh:
- On iPhone – Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage. Tap on TikTok, then tap Offload App to clear the cache.
- On Android – Open Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > TikTok. Tap Storage & cache > Clear Storage and Clear Cache buttons.
TikTok also has a feature in the app that enables you to easily clear the app’s cache. To clear cache while logged in:
- Navigate to your profile and tap on the hamburger icon at the upper right of your screen.
- Tap on “Settings and privacy” then swipe down to tap on “Free up space.”
- Tap on the “Clear” button next to the “Cache.”
This deletes temporary files and resets TikTok to default. Open the app again and check if the FYP works now. Re-login and reset any preferences if needed.
6. Reset Advertising ID/Identifier
Resetting your device’s ad ID/identifier can also help refresh your FYP feed when stuck:
- On iPhone – Go to Settings > Privacy > Advertising and toggle Reset Advertising Identifier.
- On Android – Open Settings > Google > Ads > Reset advertising ID.
This clears any ad personalization settings that may be interfering with FYP loading. Try your feed again after resetting the ID.
7. Uninstall and Reinstall TikTok
If nothing else has worked, completely uninstall and reinstall TikTok:
- On iPhone – Delete the TikTok app normally as you would any other app to uninstall. Then go to the App Store and re-download TikTok.
- On Android – Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > TikTok. Tap Uninstall. Then go to Play Store and install it again.
This gives you a clean slate, removing any corrupt files that may be causing FYP issues. Download TikTok again and log in to see if it fixes the problem.
8. Turn Airplane Mode On and Off
You can also try toggling Airplane mode on and off to reset all connections:
- Locate the Airplane mode switch on your device:
- On iPhone – Open Settings and tap on Airplane mode.
- On Android – Pull down the Quick Settings shade and tap the Airplane mode tile.
- Toggle Airplane mode on and wait at least 30 seconds. This will turn off all cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth connections.
- Now turn Airplane mode off again. Wait about 60 seconds as your connections will be restored.
- Open TikTok and check if your FYP starts loading new videos.
Turning on Airplane forces all apps to stop using the internet or making any network calls. It essentially cuts power to those components temporarily.
When you turn Airplane mode off and restore connections, it essentially reboots your network interfaces and clears out any stuck processes that may be interfering with things like your TikTok FYP feed.
So use this Airplane mode reset as a troubleshooting step if nothing else has worked to get the FYP unstuck. The 60 second reset can force TikTok to reload cleanly and reconnect properly.
Make sure to wait long enough with Airplane on to ensure all connections drop and apps disconnect fully from the internet. That way when you turn it off, everything has to reinitialize completely fresh.
This manual reboot may help get your FYP working again if it’s persistently stuck and not loading new video content. Give it a try before reinstalling the app or contacting support.
9. Report the FYP not Working Issue To TikTok Support
If all else fails, you may need help from TikTok’s support team. Contact them to report FYP problems and any error messages you see.
Here is a rewritten section on contacting TikTok support focusing only on doing it within the app:
If no troubleshooting steps resolve your FYP issues, you can contact TikTok support directly in the app:
- Open TikTok and tap on your profile icon in the bottom right.
- Go to the Settings and privacy section.
- Tap “Report a problem” at the very bottom.
- Choose the issue category relevant to your FYP problem.
- Give details on exactly what is happening, when it started, and steps you’ve tried.
- Submit your report to send it to TikTok’s support team.
Contacting TikTok support within the app itself is the best way to get assistance. The app provides quick access to the right submission forms and category options.
This allows you to give all the key details directly to TikTok’s support team, who can then investigate and resolve the underlying issue, hopefully getting your FYP working properly again.
So if you’ve tried all other troubleshooting suggestions with no luck, the in-app support is your last option before trying reinstalling TikTok completely. Submit a detailed report of your non-working FYP and wait for their response.
Following these best practices will help minimize any FYP errors going forward. But if you do run into trouble again, use the troubleshooting steps outlined above to quickly get your FYP working properly again!
To wrap up, having a properly functioning FYP is critical to getting the most out of TikTok. Your FYP is customized to deliver content that TikTok’s algorithms think you’ll engage with, based on your activity.
Without your FYP, you miss out on the personalized experience that makes TikTok so addictive for millions of users. You may also struggle to build an audience and get engagement on your own videos without the FYP exposing them to interested viewers.
So getting your FYP in tip-top shape is worth the effort to troubleshoot any problems! Use the solutions in this guide to refresh your FYP whenever it stops loading new videos or doesn’t refresh correctly.