TikTok’s handy bookmark feature allows you to save videos to easily watch later. However, many users have reported the bookmark icon disappearing from the share menu on iOS and Android devices.
If your TikTok bookmark button has gone missing, here are some reasons why that may be happening and actionable troubleshooting tips to get it back.
Reasons Why Your TikTok Bookmark Button is Missing
There are a few common reasons why the bookmark option could have vanished from your TikTok app. Understanding the potential causes can help narrow down solutions.
Outdated App Version
If TikTok recently updated the bookmark feature in a new release, being on an old version can make the icon disappear. Always keep your TikTok app up-to-date via the App Store or Google Play.
Like any app, TikTok can have random bugs that affect certain functions. A glitch in the coding could make the bookmark fail to display properly. Resetting the app can clear up one-off software glitches.
Corrupted App Cache
Over time, corrupted temporary data in TikTok’s cache can interfere with features like bookmarking. Clearing the cache forces TikTok to rebuild its data files correctly.
Account Connection Issue
Problems with TikTok’s connection to your account could prevent the bookmark option from loading properly. Logging out and back in resets this connection.
Outdated Operating System
If your iPhone or Android OS is outdated, it may not fully support the latest version of TikTok and its features. Updating your device software ensures compatibility with apps.
Now that you know what could potentially cause the missing bookmark button problem, here are the troubleshooting steps to resolve it.
How to Fix TikTok Bookmark Button Missing on iPhone and Android
Check TikTok App Version
First, verify you have the latest version of TikTok installed. The bookmark option could have been added or changed in a recent update.
To check your app version on an iPhone:
- Open the Apple App Store.
- Tap your profile icon in the top right corner.
- Scroll down to view your list of installed apps and find TikTok.
- Check the version number listed for TikTok.
On an Android device:
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Tap the 3-line “hamburger” menu in the top left corner.
- Select My apps & games.
- Find TikTok in the app list and look at the version number.
If your TikTok app is not up-to-date, download the latest release. After updating, open TikTok to see if the bookmark option has returned to the share menu.
Force Close and Restart the TikTok App
If you already have the current TikTok version but the bookmark icon is missing, try force closing and restarting the app. This clears any cached data that could be causing the bookmark failure.
To force close TikTok on an iPhone:
- Double click the Home button to open the multitasking view.
- Find the TikTok app preview.
- Swipe up on the TikTok preview window to close the app completely.
- Open TikTok again to refresh the app.
On an Android device:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Apps or Application Manager.
- Find and select TikTok in the app list.
- Tap Force Stop or a similar option to force close TikTok.
- Open TikTok again to restart the app.
Restarting the app often resolves small glitches, so check if the bookmark button has returned after force closing TikTok.
Log Out and Log Back Into Your TikTok Account
If restarting the app did not work, try logging out of your TikTok account and logging back in. This resets your account session which could force the bookmark feature to reload properly.
To log out of TikTok on an iPhone:
- Open the profile tab in TikTok.
- Tap the 3-dot More menu.
- Select Log Out to sign out of your account. Confirm on the prompt.
- Fully close the TikTok app by swiping it away in the app switcher.
- Reopen TikTok and sign in to your account again.
On an Android:
- Go to your profile in the TikTok app.
- Tap the 3-dot menu and choose Log Out.
- Confirm logging out on the prompt.
- Force stop TikTok in Settings or the app manager.
- Relaunch TikTok and log back into your account.
Logging out and in essentially reloads your account info, which should show the bookmark option if it’s a user session issue.
Update Your Device’s Operating System
An outdated OS version can also cause TikTok features like bookmarking to malfunction. Make sure your phone is updated to the latest software release:
- On an iPhone, go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for any iOS updates.
- On an Android device, open Settings > System > System Updates to see if a new Android OS version is available.
Updating your phone’s operating system will install the latest fixes and optimizations, which may resolve any issues caused by an outdated iOS or Android version.
Clear TikTok’s Cache and App Data
If your device already has the newest OS, try wiping the TikTok app’s cached data and login information. This erases any corrupted files that could be interfering with the bookmark button.
On an iPhone:
- Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
- Find and select TikTok from the list of apps.
- Tap Offload App to clear TikTok’s cached data.
- Reinstall TikTok from the App Store. Log back into your account.
On Android devices:
- Open Settings and go to Apps/Application Manager.
- Find and tap on TikTok.
- Select Storage & Cache, then tap Clear Cache and Clear Data.
- Launch TikTok again and check for the bookmark feature.
Clearing the cache forces TikTok to rebuild its temporary data files, which should correctly restore any missing features like bookmarks.
Toggle Airplane Mode On and Off
Toggling airplane mode off and back on can force your device to reconnect to TikTok’s servers, which may resolve any connectivity issues preventing the bookmark feature from loading.
To do this on an iPhone:
- Open Settings and toggle on Airplane mode. Wait 30 seconds.
- Toggle Airplane mode off again.
- Open TikTok and check if bookmarks are now available.
- Open Settings and enable Airplane mode. Wait 30 seconds.
- Turn Airplane mode off again.
- Relaunch TikTok to see if bookmarks work.
Re-install the TikTok App
Completely uninstalling and re-downloading the latest version of TikTok can act as a hard reset, fixing any corrupt files related to the bookmark function.
To do this on iOS:
- Hold down on the TikTok icon until it starts wiggling.
- Tap the X icon to delete the app.
- Go to the App Store and re-install TikTok.
- Log into TikTok and check for bookmarks.
- Open Settings and go to Apps/Application Manager.
- Find and tap TikTok, then tap Uninstall.
- Confirm uninstalling on the prompt.
- Go to the Play Store and re-install TikTok.
- Log into your account and verify bookmarks are now present.
Contact TikTok Customer Support
If you still can’t get the bookmark option back after trying all troubleshooting steps, reach out to TikTok’s customer support team:
- Open TikTok and go to your profile page.
- Tap on “Setting and privacy.”
- Swipe down and select Report a Problem.
- Select Bookmarks from the specific options.
- Tap Need More Help and choose Contact Support.
- Explain the missing bookmark issue and provide any helpful details.
TikTok’s support team may be able to provide specialized troubleshooting tips or escalate the problem internally if they can reproduce it. Reporting persistent issues also helps TikTok improve the app.
Having your TikTok bookmarks disappear can certainly be frustrating. However, a few simple troubleshooting steps will usually get the bookmark button back in the share menu. Be sure to keep your TikTok app and device software updated.
Reset the app, your account, or clear app data if needed. Contact TikTok support if the issue continues across app reinstalls.
With focused troubleshooting, you should be smoothly saving TikTok videos to bookmark again in no time.