Instagram’s built-in comment translation feature allows you to read comments on your posts in your preferred language.
However, sometimes this translation functionality stops working properly. When that happens, comments may fail to translate or show up garbled.
If you are facing issues with Instagram not translating comments, don’t worry. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the top troubleshooting tips to get comment translations working again on Instagram.
Why Are My Instagram Comment Translations Not Working?
Here are some common reasons why Instagram comment translations may suddenly stop working:
Temporary Tech Glitches
Instagram servers could be experiencing minor technical glitches that disrupt translation services. Similarly, a bug in the Instagram app can also cause translations to fail.
Poor Internet Connectivity
Unstable internet connectivity on your device can prevent Instagram from accessing translation servers properly. This affects its ability to translate comments accurately.
Outdated App Version
If you haven’t updated Instagram to the latest version, translation bugs in older versions could be causing the translations to not work.
Restrictive App Permissions
Overly restrictive app permissions that prevent Instagram from accessing language settings on your device can interfere with translation functionality.
How to Fix Instagram Translate Comments Not Working
If Instagram is failing to translate comments for you, try these troubleshooting solutions:
1. Check Your Internet Connection
An unstable internet connection can prevent translations from working properly. Follow these steps:
- Switch between Wi-Fi and mobile data to see if one offers better connectivity.
- Run a speed test to verify you have at least 2-3Mbps speeds.
- Turn airplane mode on and off to force reconnect your device.
- Reboot your home Wi-Fi router if on Wi-Fi.
This will rule out internet issues being the culprit.
2. Check for Instagram Server Issues
To check if Instagram servers are experiencing temporary outages:
- Check third-party sites like Downdetector for Instagram outage reports.
- See if fellow users are complaining about issues on social media.
If there are widespread complaints of Instagram problems, translations likely failed due to server problems. Wait for Instagram to resolve the server issues.
3. Check if Instagram is Updated
Always keep Instagram updated to the latest version:
- On Android devices, visit the Play Store, tap the profile icon and tap ‘Update’ if available under ‘Instagram’.
- On iPhone/iPad, visit the Updates section in the App Store and install any available Instagram updates.
Updating eliminates any translation bugs that may have existed in old versions.
4. Force Quit and Restart Instagram
Sometimes restarting the Instagram app can resolve temporary glitches.
To force quit Instagram:
- On Android devices, open Settings > Apps > Instagram > Force Stop
- On iPhone/iPad, double tap the home button and swipe up on Instagram to force close it.
Then open Instagram again to see if translations now work.
5. Clear the Instagram App Cache
A buildup of cached data can also disrupt functionality. Clear it by:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Tap on “Apps” or “Apps and notifications.”
- Scroll down to find Instagram and tap on it.
- Tap on “Storage and cache.”
- Tap on “Clear Cache.”
Then reopen Instagram to see if clearing the corrupted cache fixed translations.
6. Change Your Phone’s Language Settings
Changing your system language back and forth can force Instagram to refresh its language settings and reconnect to translation servers.
To do this:
- Go to your phone’s Language settings
- Temporarily switch to English
- Then switch back to your native language
- Open Instagram again to test translations
This trick has helped some users get translations working again.
7. Reinstall Instagram
If other troubleshooting steps fail, uninstall and reinstall the app:
- Back up your Instagram content beforehand.
- Delete Instagram from your device.
- Redownload it from the app/play store and log in again.
A clean reinstall eliminates any corrupted data in the app that could be interfering with translations.
8. Check if Comments are in Supported Language
Instagram can only translate comments into languages its translation engine recognizes. These include English, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and a few others.
If comments are in an unsupported language like Finnish or Thai, the ‘See translation’ link will not appear at all.
In such cases, manually translate using Google Translate instead.
9. Ask Commenter to Rephrase Message
If a comment uses very complex wording and linguistic structure, Instagram might struggle to interpret it accurately.
Politely ask the commenter to rephrase their comment in simpler words and sentence constructions that are easier to translate digitally.
10. Use Third Party Translation Tools
Rather than rely solely on Instagram’s translation, leverage external services:
- Copy and paste the comment text into Google Translate
- Use dictionary apps to translate individual words you don’t understand
- Browser translation extensions can translate text on Instagram web
These provide additional translation support if Instagram’s own translations fail.
The above troubleshooting guide covers the major solutions for fixing Instagram comment translations not working or showing up garbled.
11. Enable/Disable Comment Translations
Check if the “Show Comment Translations” option has gotten accidentally disabled in either Instagram or your device settings:
- In Instagram, go to your profile > Settings > Comments > Show Comment Translations
- On Android, go to Device Settings > Apps > Instagram > Permissions > toggle on “Show Comment Translations”
- On iPhone, go to Device Settings > Instagram > toggle on “Show Comment Translations”
Re-enable it if needed.
12. Sign Out and Sign Back In
Signing out and signing back into Instagram can force a refresh of account information which may resolve translation issues.
To sign out:
- Go to your Instagram Profile
- Tap the Menu icon (3 horizontal lines)
- Select ‘Log Out.’
Then log back into your account with your username and password.
13. Try the Web Version of Instagram
Does the translation issue only occur in Instagram’s mobile app? Or does it also happen when accessing Instagram through a web browser on your computer?
- On your computer, visit instagram.com and login to your account.
- Go to a post with non-English comments and check if the web-based Instagram also fails to translate them.
If the web version displays translations properly, then the problem lies with the app on your mobile device.
14. Restart Your Device
Power cycling your phone or tablet can clear out temporary glitches:
- Fully power off your device
- Wait for 30 seconds
- Turn your device back on
Once the device has restarted, open Instagram and check if translations are working.
15. Verify App Permissions
- On Android devices, open Settings > Apps > Instagram > Permissions
- On iOS devices, open Settings > Privacy > Instagram
- Check that necessary permissions like Storage, Microphone etc. are enabled for Instagram
If some permissions are disabled, enable them in case it helps fix translations.
16. Clear DNS Cache
Flushing your device’s DNS cache can sometimes resolve internet connectivity issues:
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > current network > Advanced Options > DNS
- Select ‘None’ instead of ‘Automatic’ to flush DNS
- Then switch back to ‘Automatic’
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > current network > Configure DNS > Manual
- Enter public DNS servers like 188.8.131.52 then save
- Do this twice to flush cache
Once DNS cache is cleared, check Instagram translations.
17. Try a Different Device
Determine whether the translation problem only affects Instagram on your current device or also happens when you log into your Instagram account through other devices.
Borrow a friend’s phone or use your computer to access your Instagram and check if translations work normally there.
If translations work fine on alternate devices, then the issue seems isolated to settings/configurations with your personal device that need troubleshooting.
However, if the same translation failure occurs on other devices too, then your actual Instagram account is likely facing problems.
18. Contact Instagram Support
If no fixes resolve your Instagram translation issues, reach out directly to the Instagram support team:
- Open Instagram > Profile Icon > Settings > Help > Contact Us
- Under ‘Something Went Wrong’, select appropriate options like “Comment Translations Not Working” to report the issue
- Include details like when problem started, troubleshooting you have tried etc.
- Submit the report to Instagram for further diagnosis
Hopefully Instagram support can resolve pesky translation issues that conventional troubleshooting tips have failed to address.
19. Use Translation Tools
Rather than relying solely on Instagram’s hit-or-miss translation capabilities, consider investing in more powerful translation tools and services for a seamless cross-language experience consistently.
Options like premium subscriptions to Google Translate, Translate.com and DeepL offer highly accurate translations for all your Instagram commenting needs.