TikTok’s personalized avatars allow users to create a virtual version of themselves to use in videos and messages.
However, sometimes the avatar feature stops working properly. If your TikTok avatar isn’t showing up or working as expected, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try to get it fixed.
Why Your TikTok Avatar May Not Be Working
There are a few common reasons why your TikTok avatar may not be working:
The TikTok App Needs Updating
Like any app, TikTok releases periodic updates that contain bug fixes, performance improvements, and new features.
If your TikTok app is outdated, it could be causing issues with the avatar feature. Make sure you have downloaded the latest version of TikTok from your device’s app store. This is one of the easiest troubleshooting tips to try first.
After updating your TikTok app to the latest version, you should be able to create a TikTok AI Avatar.
The Avatar Feature Isn’t Available in Your Region
TikTok rolls out new features gradually across its global userbase. It’s possible your region doesn’t have access to the avatar feature yet if you can’t get it working.
Check TikTok’s support site to see if the avatars are meant to be available in your country. If not, you’ll have to wait until TikTok launches the feature for your region.
Your Device Doesn’t Meet System Requirements
The TikTok avatar feature requires devices to be running a minimum iOS or Android version to work properly.
If your device OS is too outdated, the avatars may not display or function as expected. Check that your device meets the minimum system requirements for avatars and update if needed.
App Glitches or Software Bugs
Like any new feature, there could be bugs or glitches affecting the avatar functionality in the TikTok app code.
Clearing the TikTok app cache and data can sometimes help resolve software issues that are preventing your avatar from working properly.
Internet Connection Issues
Problems with your internet connection or WiFi network could interfere with the avatar feature loading and displaying correctly in TikTok. Try switching to a different, more stable connection and see if that fixes your avatar issues.
You can check the strength of your internet connection using sites like fast.com or Speed Test by Ookla.
In some cases, there may be problems with your individual TikTok account that are preventing the avatar from working. Logging out and back in or reinstalling the TikTok app can sometimes help resolve account-specific issues.
Major outages on TikTok’s servers can sometimes cause features like avatars to stop working. Check TikTok’s status page to see if there are any ongoing server issues that could be affecting the avatar functionality.
By understanding the various reasons your TikTok avatar may not be working, you can better pinpoint potential solutions and troubleshooting steps.
Troubleshooting TikTok Avatar Not Working
If your TikTok avatar is not showing up or functioning correctly, try these troubleshooting steps to attempt to fix it:
1. Update the TikTok App
The first step is to check that you have the latest version of TikTok installed on your device. The avatar feature may not work properly or at all if you are running an outdated version of the app.
Open the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) on your device and search for TikTok. Check if there are any pending updates available for the TikTok app. If an update is available, download and install it.
Once the latest version of TikTok is installed, open up the app and try to access your avatar again. The update may have included a bug fix or optimization that resolves your avatar issues.
2. Confirm the Avatar Feature is Available in Your Region
TikTok rolls out new features gradually across the 150 countries and regions where the app is available. It’s possible the personalized avatar feature simply hasn’t launched yet in your geographic area.
You can verify this by opening your profile page. Underneath your TikTok profile picture, you should see the option to create an avatar.
3. Check Your Device Meets System Requirements
To use TikTok avatars, your Android or iOS device must be running a minimum OS version. Check that your device meets the following requirements:
Android Minimum Requirements
- Android OS 5.0 or later
iOS Minimum Requirements
- iOS 11.0 or later
To check your device OS version:
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Android Version
- Go to Settings > General > Software Version
If your device OS is too outdated, certain features like avatars may not be supported. You’ll need to update your operating system to meet the minimum requirements.
For Android devices, OS updates are pushed out by your phone manufacturer and carrier, not Google. You may have to contact your phone company for details on when an OS update will be available.
Updating iOS is easier – you can install the latest iOS version directly from your device settings. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for available updates to install.
With your device OS up-to-date, try using your TikTok avatar again.
4. Clear TikTok’s Cache and App Data
Glitches, bugs, and corrupted data in the TikTok app can sometimes prevent features like avatars from loading properly.
Clearing the TikTok app’s cache and data can purge any problematic files or data causing avatar issues.
To clear the cache and data on Android:
- Open your Android device’s Settings app.
- Tap Apps & Notifications (may be called Apps or Application Manager on some devices).
- Select TikTok from the app list.
- Tap Storage & Cache.
- Tap Clear Cache and then Clear Storage to clear data.
To clear the cache and data on iOS:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap General.
- Tap iPhone Storage.
- Select TikTok from the list of apps.
- Tap Offload App to clear the cache and data.
Once the TikTok app cache and data have been deleted, reopen TikTok and try your avatar again. Any corrupt files or issues should be cleared.
5. Restart Your Device
An easy first step in troubleshooting any technical issue is simply restarting your device. Restarting will clear out any memory issues or glitches that could be preventing the avatar from loading correctly in the TikTok app.
To restart an iPhone or Android phone:
- Hold down the Side or Power button until the shutdown slider appears.
- Drag the slider to turn off your device.
- After 30 seconds, hold the Power button again to restart your smartphone.
Once your device has restarted, launch TikTok and check if your avatar works now. Restarting gives the app and OS a fresh start, often fixing minor glitches.
6. Try a Different Internet Connection
Problems with your internet connection can prevent the TikTok app from retrieving all required data for avatars to work correctly. Switching to a stronger WiFi or cellular data connection could potentially fix avatar loading issues.
If you’re currently on WiFi, try switching to cellular data instead. Or if you’re using a weak WiFi network, try connecting to a different, stronger WiFi network.
Strong, stable internet connectivity ensures optimal performance for loading avatars, videos, and other content within TikTok.
7. Log Out and Log Back Into Your TikTok Account
Glitches related specifically to your TikTok account could be impacting your avatar functionality. Logging out and then back in essentially refreshes your account, which may resolve these types of issues.
- Open your TikTok profile page.
- Tap the three horizontal line menu icon in the top right.
- Choose Log Out.
Close the TikTok app completely after logging out. Then reopen TikTok, enter your login details again, and try viewing your avatar.
8. Reinstall TikTok to Fix the Avatar Not Working Issue
If no other troubleshooting steps have worked, the last resort is to uninstall and reinstall TikTok:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Apps & Notifications.
- Select TikTok.
- Tap Uninstall.
- Go to the Google Play Store and reinstall TikTok.
- Hold down on the TikTok icon until the icons start wiggling.
- Tap the X icon to delete the TikTok app.
- Go to the App Store and reinstall TikTok.
Reinstalling will wipe any corrupt application files or residual data that could be interfering with your avatar. After a fresh install, open TikTok, log in, and try your avatar again.
9. Disable VPNs and Proxies
If you are using a VPN (virtual private network) or proxy service, this could interfere with TikTok properly loading avatars. Some VPN services block functionality for certain apps.
Try turning off or disconnecting from the VPN app on your device, then opening TikTok to see if avatars now work. You can turn the VPN back on afterwards – this is just to test if the VPN is causing TikTok avatar issues.
10. Check for TikTok Server Outages
Sometimes avatar problems are not anything on your side, but rather problems with TikTok’s servers. Major outages can cause all types of TikTok features to stop working.
To check for any current TikTok server issues:
- Visit TikTok’s Twitter or Facebook page – they often post updates on server outages.
- Check third-party sites like DownDetector that track status and outages for apps like TikTok.
- Search online for “TikTok down” or “TikTok outage” to see if others are reporting issues around the same time.
If TikTok is experiencing server trouble, unfortunately you’ll have to wait until TikTok engineers resolve the problem. Follow TikTok’s social accounts for updates on any restoration progress.
11. Contact TikTok Support
If you still can’t get your TikTok avatar working after trying all troubleshooting steps, you can reach out to TikTok’s customer support team for help.
To contact TikTok support:
- Open the TikTok app and go to your profile page.
- Tap the three-line menu button in the top right corner.
- Choose “Report a problem”.
- Select the issue category related to avatars.
- Tap Contact Us and fill out the help request form.
Provide details on the specific avatar issue you’re experiencing along with the troubleshooting steps you’ve tried. The TikTok support team may be able to provide specialized troubleshooting tips or identify other potential issues with your account.
12. Wait for an App Update
If all else fails, you may just need to wait until TikTok releases an app update containing a fix for whatever is causing your avatar to not work properly.
Major app updates can contain bug fixes and optimizations to improve avatar functionality. Check the app store weekly for new TikTok updates to install.
Sign up for TikTok’s update emails or follow their social channels to stay notified of new releases. Make sure to read the App Store description with each update to see if there are mentions of avatar improvements.
With over 1 billion monthly active users, TikTok is committed to regularly enhancing the app experience and squashing bugs. Exercise some patience as the developers work to perfect the avatar feature.
Key Takeaways on How to Fix TikTok Avatar Not Working
- Update to the latest version of the TikTok app. New updates often contain avatar fixes.
- Confirm your region has access to avatars. The feature is still rolling out globally.
- Make sure your device meets the minimum OS version requirements.
- Clear the app cache and data to wipe out glitches.
- Try switching WiFi networks or use cellular data instead.
- Log out and back into your TikTok account.
- Uninstall and reinstall TikTok to eliminate corrupt files.
- Disable any VPN services that may interfere.
- Check for TikTok server outages that could be causing problems.
- Contact TikTok customer support if issues persist.
- Wait for future app updates that may improve avatars.
With the right troubleshooting techniques, you can get your TikTok avatar back up and working again in no time!