It can be frustrating when you come across an interesting Instagram link on TikTok, but TikTok refuses to open it. You tap the link, but instead of taking you to Instagram, nothing happens.
Don’t worry, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to get TikTok opening Instagram links again.
In this guide, we’ll walk through the most common reasons why TikTok won’t open Instagram links and provide some helpful fixes.
Why Won’t TikTok Open My Instagram Links?
There are a few possible reasons why TikTok isn’t opening your Instagram links:
Internet Connectivity Issues
The most likely culprit is an unstable internet connection. Links require an internet connection to function properly. Check that you have a strong Wi-Fi or cellular data connection. Slow speeds or connection drops can prevent links from working.
Outdated App Version
An outdated version of either the TikTok or Instagram app could be the issue. Apps need regular updates to fix bugs and ensure compatibility with new iOS/Android versions. Make sure both apps are updated to the latest available version.
Corrupted App Cache
The TikTok and Instagram apps store temporary data and files in a cache. Over time, this cached data can become corrupted.
Corrupted cache files may prevent links from working properly in either app. Clearing the cache forces the app to rebuild these temporary files.
Sometimes apps just don’t play nice with each other. Conflicts between the TikTok and Instagram apps could prevent TikTok links from opening Instagram properly. Reinstalling both apps can help resolve these kinds of conflicts.
Specific Link Issues
The specific Instagram link itself may be invalid or broken for some reason. Try accessing the same link directly from your mobile browser instead of the TikTok app.
If the link doesn’t open properly here either, the link itself is likely the problem.
Do you have any parental control apps or filters enabled? These apps sometimes block access to specific apps or websites. Check parental control settings to ensure TikTok or Instagram access isn’t being restricted.
How to Fix TikTok Not Opening Instagram Links
Now that we’ve covered some of the reasons why TikTok might not be opening Instagram links for you, here are 12 troubleshooting steps to try:
1. Check Your Internet Connection
Let’s start with the basics – ensure you have a stable internet connection. Without internet access, links are not going to work within TikTok or Instagram.
You can test the speed of your internet connection using online tools such as Speed Test by Ookla. Simply visit their website and click on the “Go” button to run an internet connection speed test.
Open your phone’s Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi (or Mobile Data on Android). Verify you have at least a 3G, 4G LTE or strong Wi-Fi connection. Try toggling Airplane mode on and off to reset connectivity as well.
Also consider trying different Wi-Fi networks or disabling and re-enabling mobile data. This helps determine if connectivity issues are specific to one network.
2. Verify the Instagram App is Installed and Updated
Next, open the App Store (iOS) or Play Store (Android). Search for the Instagram app and check:
- The Instagram app is actually installed. If not, download and install the latest version of the app.
- The Instagram app does not have any available updates. If an update is available, install it and then try your Instagram link again.
App updates frequently fix bugs that can prevent links from opening properly from other apps like TikTok.
3. Restart the TikTok and Instagram Apps
Sometimes apps just need a simple restart or refresh to get working properly again. Close out of both the TikTok and Instagram apps completely by swiping them away in your recent apps list.
Then launch TikTok and try your Instagram link again. A restart clears out old temporary files and data that may be causing issues.
If that doesn’t help, restart your phone as well to completely clear out all apps and system memory.
4. Try Copying and Pasting the Link into Instagram
Let’s try opening the Instagram link directly within Instagram rather than going through the TikTok app:
- In TikTok, tap and hold your finger on the Instagram link. This should bring up a menu.
- Select Copy Link from the menu. This copies the Instagram link to your clipboard.
- Open the Instagram app and paste this link directly into the search bar at the top using paste.
- Tap Search/Go on the keyboard.
Sometimes bypassing TikTok’s in-app browser is enough to get Instagram links working again. Pasting directly into Instagram itself forces the Instagram app to process the URL instead.
5. Open the Link in Your Default Mobile Browser
Similarly, attempt to open the Instagram link directly within your phone’s default web browser instead of via the TikTok app.
For example, tap the link in TikTok. But when the link tries to open, ignore it. Instead, open Chrome or Safari on your own. Then tap and hold on the link in TikTok to bring up the menu, and select Copy Link.
Next, paste this URL directly into your browser’s address bar and tap Go.
If the link opens normally within your browser, the issue is isolated to the TikTok app. But if the link fails to open here as well, your problem lies with either Instagram or the link itself.
6. Clear the Cache for Both Apps
The TikTok and Instagram apps store temporary data and files on your device – known as cached data. Over time, corrupted cache data can build up and prevent basic functions (like opening links) from working properly.
Clearing the app cache forces TikTok and Instagram to rebuild these corrupted temporary files from scratch, which may resolve your issues opening Instagram links.
To clear cache on iOS:
- Open Settings > General > iPhone Storage. Tap on either Instagram or TikTok.
- Tap Offload App > Offload. This deletes the cache while keeping the app installed.
- Then tap Reinstall App to fetch a clean version of the app and cache.
To clear cache on Android:
- Open device Settings > Apps. Tap Instagram > Storage.
- Tap on “Clear Cache.”
- Repeat the steps for clearing cache for the TikTok app as well.
A clean app install ensures no old corrupted files are lingering around that could prevent links from functioning.
7. Reinstall Both the TikTok and Instagram Apps
If clearing cache didn’t help, let’s try completely uninstalling then reinstalling fresh copies of both the Instagram and TikTok apps. This similarly gives you a clean slate eliminating any corrupt files that may be interfering with links working properly between the apps.
- Uninstall Instagram: Open Settings/Apps > Select Instagram > Tap Uninstall. Confirm removing the app when prompted.
- Uninstall TikTok: Repeat the same process to uninstall TikTok.
- Reinstall from app stores: Head to the Play Store or App Store to fetch fresh installs of both apps.
Run through the onboarding process for both apps, then attempt your Instagram link again within TikTok.
8. Check for Known Issues with Either App
Sometimes apps themselves have ongoing bugs that prevent specific features from working correctly across different devices.
Do a search on Down Detector to check if either TikTok or Instagram have any recently reported problems with links not opening properly or issues communicating with other apps.
If ongoing bugs exist, you’ll have to wait for the developers to push an app update resolving the problems before links will work.
9. Report the Issue to TikTok Support
If you’ve tried all troubleshooting steps without success, it’s time to involve TikTok support for help:
To contact TikTok support:
- Open the TikTok app and visit your Profile
- Tap the three Lines menu icon (☰).
- Tap on “Settings and Privacy.”
- Choose Report a Problem from the menu.
- Look for the “Submit a report” link at the bottom of the TikTok help page and tap on it.
The more details you provide, the better chance TikTok support can pinpoint why Instagram links are not functioning and provide a fix.
10. Verify the Instagram Link Itself Works
The underlying issue may be the Instagram link itself, rather than TikTok having problems opening it. Let’s check whether that specific link actually functions first before continuing troubleshooting TikTok.
- Copy the shared Instagram link from TikTok again via the Copy Link menu.
- Paste this Instagram link directly into your mobile browser URL bar and tap Go to open it.
If the Instagram link fails to open from within your browser either, then the link itself is broken or invalid for some reason. The problem here lies with either the link or potentially Instagram itself.
But if the Instagram link opens fine elsewhere outside TikTok, keep following the rest of our troubleshooting guide to get it working within the TikTok app.
11. Update Your Device Operating System
Outdated device software can sometimes create compatibility issues leading to links or other app functionality failing.
Ensure your device OS is updated to the latest available version:
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update. Install any iOS updates available.
- Open device Settings > System > Advanced > System Update. Install any Android OS updates showing.
Updating to the latest OS improves stability and fixes bugs that may interfere with communication between apps like TikTok and Instagram. Links require proper app compatibility to work.
12. Verify App Permissions
Modern mobile operating systems require users to explicitly grant apps access to certain device permissions, like storage or contacts access. If TikTok or Instagram lack necessary permissions, links between the apps can fail.
Double check that both the TikTok and Instagram apps have all needed permissions enabled:
- Settings > Privacy > Photos > Ensure Instagram and TikTok have photos access enabled.
- Also enable Contacts and Camera access if prompted.
- Settings > Apps & Notifications > Advanced > App Permissions.
- Check TikTok and Instagram have Storage, Contacts and Camera access.
Grant any permission pop-up requests within the apps as well. Having the necessary access to contacts, photos and files allows links to operate properly between apps.
13. Check for Parental Controls or Content Filters
Do you have any parental control apps enabled or content filters switched on? These types of apps will sometimes block access to specific apps and websites.
Open the parental control or content filter app and check if access to either TikTok or Instagram is being restricted.
Temporarily disable any filters to see if that resolves the issue with opening links between the two apps.
14. Try Opening the Link from a Different Device
Let’s check if the problem is isolated to just your current smartphone or tablet. Install TikTok on another phone, tablet or computer you own.
Attempt to open the same Instagram link giving you issues. If it works fine elsewhere, then something specific on your device is causing problems – whether a configuration issue or corrupted files.
However, if new devices have the same problem opening Instagram links in TikTok, then the cause lies with either the link itself or TikTok’s linking system in general.
We hope this guide has helped you to diagnose and fix issues getting TikTok to successfully open Instagram links on your iPhone or Android device.
Restarting apps, double checking for updates, reinstalling software and contacting developer support teams should help get these important communication features working properly again soon.
Let us know in the comments if you have any other issues getting links or content to share correctly between TikTok and Instagram!