Have you ever been in a situation where you were expecting an important message on Telegram, but when you received it, there was no notification sound? Or perhaps you noticed that your Telegram notifications were not working at all?
If so, you are not alone. Many users have encountered this problem, and it can be frustrating to not receive notifications when you are expecting them.
In this blog post, we will go through the steps on how to fix Telegram notifications not working. Whether you are using Telegram on your phone or on your computer, these solutions should help you get your notifications back up and running.
We will cover common reasons for Telegram notifications not working, such as incorrect notification settings, problems with your internet connection, or issues with the Telegram app itself.
So if you are ready to get your Telegram notifications working again, let’s get started!
Why is Telegram not Notifying me?
You may be among the many users asking questions such as:
- Why is my Telegram not showing notifications?
- Why are my Telegram notifications not working?
- why am I not getting Telegram notifications on my iPhone?
- Why don’t I get notifications from Telegram?
- Why am I not receiving Telegram notifications?
There could be a few different reasons why your Telegram notifications are not working, and I’ll go over some of the most common ones here:
- Your phone’s notification settings are turned off.
- You have a weak or unstable internet connection.
- Your phone is in “Do Not Disturb” mode.
- You have a lot of notifications and your phone’s notification center is full.
- There’s an issue with the Telegram app itself.
How to Fix Telegram Notifications not Working
1. Restart Your Device
Sometimes, a simple restart can fix a variety of technical issues, including notifications not working properly.
In this situation, a hard reboot will end any background processes interfering with Telegram push notifications. As a result, you should attempt to do a hard restart of your device first because this simple cure can help you avoid further time and hassle.
To restart your phone, simply hold down the power button for a few seconds and tap “Restart” when prompted.
2. Check your Phone’s Sound Settings
You should initially check your phone’s volume if Telegram alerts are still arriving but you can’t hear them. Make sure it isn’t muted so that you won’t hear the alerts as they arrive on your device.
At the same time, make sure your phone is not on “Silent Mode,” since this may be the reason your alerts aren’t being received.
When Silent Mode is activated, all notifications, including those from the Telegram app, have their sounds muted.
Depending on the sort of Android smartphone you have, you might need to use the volume button or a specific sound button to turn off Silent Mode. For such, there is a toggle switch on iPhones located on the right side of the bar.
Silent mode can be disabled by pressing the Silent/Ringer switch until it clicks toward the screen. You can still use Silent Mode on your phone if the orange line is visible.
To disable or exit silent mode on Android phones, press the volume up button to increase the volume. If your Telegram notifications are not showing on Samsung phones or any other android phone, this can be useful.
3. Update the Telegram App
Keeping your app up to date is important for ensuring that it works properly. To update Telegram, go to the app store on your phone and check for updates. If there is a new version available, install it to see if that fixes the problem.
To prevent these problems, it’s crucial that you update your Telegram app to the most recent and reliable version. Installing any pending updates and getting the latest version will help fix any inherent issues that may interfere with the smooth functioning of the app such as Telegram notifications.
To update your Telegram app:
- Go to Playstore (for android users) or App store (iPhone users).
- Search for Telegram.
- Install any pending updates if there are any by tapping on “Update.”
4. Turn Off the “Do Not Disturb” Mode
If your phone is in “Do Not Disturb” mode, you won’t receive any notifications. Do Not Disturb Mode may be to blame if you aren’t getting any notifications from any app, including Telegram. In order to receive Telegram notifications, you must turn it off.
This is obviously helpful in situations where the user really doesn’t want to be disturbed.
To Turn off Do Not Disturb on iPhones (iOS)
- Go to “Settings -> Focus” on your iPhone to switch off “Do Not Disturb Mode.”
- On the next screen, tap any Focus mode that is marked as “On” to switch it off.
To Turn off Do Not Disturb on Android
- Navigate to Settings.
- Tap on “Sound & Vibration.”
- Tap on “Do Not Disturb” then proceed to toggle it to the left to turn it off (if it was on).
5. Enable Push Notifications on Telegram
Another method to solve broken Telegram notifications is to see if Telegram Push Notifications are enabled, and if not, to turn them on. A recent update may have automatically deactivated alerts or you may have accidentally turned them off.
Users have the option to personalize notifications in Telegram’s settings, and they may unintentionally turn off the app’s notifications. A Telegram app upgrade or reinstallation may have also reset these settings.
You won’t hear the notification alert if the app’s notification sounds are off. Therefore, make sure that the Telegram app for Android or iPhone has the notification sound turned on.
It’s also possible that you have reset your Telegram notifications at one point in time.
Working on this can also be helpful if Telegram shows notifications but no messages associated.
If all other notifications from other apps have sound, try this workaround in particular.
To enable Telegram Push Notifications on Android
- Tap on the hamburger icon (☰) at the top left corner upon launching the Telegram app.
- Tap on Settings.
- Under the “Settings” tab, tap on “Notifications and Sounds.”
- Next, you will see notification settings for various uses, such as notifications for chats, calls, etc. Tap on the toggle button for all the features you want to receive notifications.
By enabling these specific notifications on the Telegram app, you can be sure that you will receive all those notifcations with sound.
6. Check Telegram’s General Notification Settings
In addition to your phone’s notification settings, Telegram has its own notification settings that you can customize.
You won’t receive notifications even if you enable the in-app notification settings for Telegram if the system settings have Telegram’s notifications off.
To Check your device’s settings for the Telegram app’s notification preferences.
- On Android, go to “Settings.”
- Tap on “App management” and then proceed to “App List.
- Select Telegram from the list of apps.
- Tap on Notifications.
- Turn on the toggle to enable notifications for Telegram. You may also toggle the “Sound” and the “Vibrate” buttons if you have problems receiving notifications with sound or vibrations.
Your device’s notification settings may have some settings that are interfering with Telegram push notifications. Because of this, you might have unintentionally or purposefully turned off notifications on your device in the past.
Turning on notifications as described above will ensure you receive notifications from Telegram without any interference.
7. Disable Battery Saving Mode
The majority of gadgets offer a battery-saving mode that extends the time between charges. For consumers who must use their devices for extended periods of time, this function is intrinsically valuable.
However, Telegram notification sounds and other notifications could be affected if the battery-saving mode is always enabled on your phone.
The explanation is that when the device is turned off, Battery Saving Mode pauses all background operations. Your Telegram alerts may not function or display as a result of this minor power-saving adjustment.
To solve the problem, you must disable the battery-saving mode.
For iOS (iPhone Users)
- Go to “Settings” then proceed to “Battery” on your iPhone to disable battery-saving mode.
- Deactivate “Low Power Mode” by turning it off.
For Android Users
- Navigate to “Settings.”
- Tap on “Battery” then proceed to “Battery Saver.”
- Turn off the battery saver mode.
For Tecno phones, tap on “Battery Lab” from the settings. Navigate to “Advanced Settings” and tap on “Battery Saver.” Turn off the toggle labelled “Use Battery Saver.”
8. Enable Background Data Usage for Telegram
Push notifications for Telegram may also be problematic depending on your mobile data and Wi-Fi connection settings.
Users who disable Background Data Usage typically don’t get notifications while using mobile data. But as soon as they connect to Wi-Fi, they’ll be inundated with notifications.
Try turning on Background Data Usage on your smartphone if this sounds familiar to you.
To enable background data usage for Telegram on Android:
- On Android, go to “Settings.”
- Tap on “App management” and then proceed to “App List.
- Select Telegram from the list of apps.
- Tap on “Mobile data & Wi-fi.”
- Ensure the “Background data” toggle is enabled to “enable usage of mobile data in the background.
In essence, this setting gives the Telegram app internet access even when it’s not open when utilizing cellular data. Consequently, the app may continuously update and send you timely notifications.
9. Log out of Telegram and Log in Again
If Telegram notifications are enabled in the system settings and the app but you are still not receiving them, you can try signing out and then back into Telegram.
This is sometimes all it takes to resolve the Telegram notifications not working issue.
To log out of your Telegram account:
- Tap on the three horizontal lines (☰) at the top left corner after launching the app.
- Tap on “Settings.”
- On your profile page, tap on the three dots at the top right corner.
- Tap on “Log Out.”
- On the next page, scroll down to the bottom and tap on “Log Out” once again, for confirmation.
After logging out, log in again and check if you will get subsequent notifications from Telegram.
10. Uninstall and Reinstall Telegram
Reinstalling Telegram can fix your issue if everything else fails. A fresh copy of the program will include all the most recent updates while uninstalling the app deletes all the data related to Telegram, some of which may be damaged and interfere with alerts.
To uninstall and re-install Telegram:
- Long-press on the Telegram app and choose “Uninstall” or “Remove.”
- Confirm the action by tapping on “OK.”
- Go to Google Playstore (Android) or the Apple App Store (iPhones) and search for “Telegram.”
- Tap on “Install” or “Get” to get it installed.
After reinstalling Telegram, you can expect the notifications to work again.
11. Clear Telegram App’s Cache to fix the Notification Issue
The technology behind caching in apps can be really helpful in the smooth functioning of the app. However, corrupt cached files and data can occasionally cause issues such as the one under discussion – Telegram notifications not working.
If the Telegram notifications issue is caused by cached files and data, then it’s essential to clear the cache to get it resolved.
To clear Telegram cache on Android
- Go to “Settings” and tap on “App Management.”
- Proceed to “App List” to see all the apps you’ve installed on your phone.
- From the list of apps displayed, select Telegram.
- Tap on “Storage & Cache.” Proceed to tap on “Clear Cache.”
To get Telegram cache and data cleared on an iPhone, simply uninstall it, then reinstall.
12. Report the Notification Issue to Telegram
If you’ve tried troubleshooting with all the above methods and yet you still don’t receive notifications on Telegram, then your last resort will be to reach out to Telegram.
You can be sure that Telegram will revert to you with actionable guidelines on how to resolve your notifications issue.
How to fix Telegram Notifications not working on Apple Watch
To resolve Telegram notifications not showing up on your Apple Watch:
First, make sure that your Apple Watch and iPhone are connected and that the Telegram app is installed on both devices. You can check the connection by opening the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and going to the “My Watch” tab.
If the connection is working properly, you should see your Apple Watch listed under the “Devices” section.
Next, open the Telegram app on your iPhone and go to the “Settings” tab. Scroll down and tap on “Notifications.” Make sure that the “Allow Notifications” toggle is turned on and that the “Show in Notification Center” and “Show on Lock Screen” options are also enabled.
If you’ve checked all of these settings and you’re still not receiving notifications on your Apple Watch, try restarting both your iPhone and your Apple Watch.
If restarting your devices doesn’t fix the issue, you can try deleting the Telegram app from your Apple Watch and reinstalling it.