LinkedIn reactions allow you to quickly engage with posts in your feed. The standard reactions include “Like”, “Love”, “Celebrate”, “Insightful”, and “Curious”.
However, LinkedIn also offers a hidden “Funny” reaction that often doesn’t show up.
If you’ve noticed the Funny reaction missing, don’t worry – it’s usually an easy fix to get it back.
Here are the top ways to troubleshoot and resolve the LinkedIn Funny reaction not showing:
Check Your LinkedIn App Version
The Funny reaction was introduced with the launch of the LinkedIn app’s new version for iOS and Android. If your app hasn’t auto-updated to this version or later, you won’t see the Funny option.
To check your LinkedIn app version on iOS:
- Open the App Store and go to your LinkedIn app page
- Scroll down to find the current version listed
- Open the Play Store and go to your LinkedIn app page
- Scroll down to find the current version
If your version is lower than the current one, update your LinkedIn app to the latest version and see if that fixes the missing Funny reaction.
Clear the App Cache
A corrupted app cache is another common reason the Funny reaction may not show. Clearing the cache forces the app to fully reload, which often resolves interface issues like missing reactions.
To clear the cache on iOS:
- Open your iPhone Settings
- Tap General > iPhone Storage
- Find LinkedIn and tap Offload App
- Redownload the LinkedIn app – this will give you a fresh install
- Open your Android Settings
- Tap Apps > LinkedIn
- Tap “Storage and cache,” then proceed to tap on “Clear Cache.”
- Force close the LinkedIn app and reopen it.
Once you’ve cleared the cache, check if the Funny reaction now displays.
Log Out and Back In
If updating your LinkedIn app and clearing the cache don’t work, try logging out and back into your account. This resets your account connection within the app.
To log out on mobile:
- Open your LinkedIn app and tap your profile icon in the top left.
- Scroll down and tap Sign Out
- Click your profile icon in the top right
- Click Sign Out.
Close out of the LinkedIn app completely. Then relaunch it and sign back into your account. The Funny reaction should now be available when you view posts.
Use LinkedIn on Desktop
The LinkedIn mobile app sometimes lacks features or has bugs that the desktop website doesn’t. If you still see the Funny reaction missing on mobile, try pulling up LinkedIn on your desktop.
The Funny reaction is available on both LinkedIn.com and the LinkedIn Windows app. To use it:
- Go to LinkedIn.com or open the LinkedIn Windows app.
- View your feed or another post.
- Hover over the reaction icons and click the smiley face for Funny.
Using LinkedIn on desktop may refresh the available reactions for your account. You can then switch back to mobile to see if Funny now shows up there too.
Update Your Operating System
Having an outdated operating system can cause compatibility issues with apps like LinkedIn. Ensure your iOS, Android, or Windows OS is up-to-date:
iOS – Go to Settings > General > Software Update to update to the latest iOS version
Android – On most phones, open Settings > System > Advanced > System Update to get the latest Android OS
Windows – Click the Start menu and go to Settings > Windows Update, then install any available updates
Updating your device’s operating system can help resolve missing reaction problems. Be sure to also update your LinkedIn app after updating your OS.
Reinstall the LinkedIn App
If you still don’t see the Funny reaction after trying the above steps, a fresh reinstall of the LinkedIn app may do the trick.
- Delete the LinkedIn app from your device.
- Open your device’s app store
- Download and install LinkedIn again.
This gives you a completely clean slate. When you open the freshly installed app and check posts, the Funny reaction should now appear.
Contact LinkedIn Support
If you’ve tried all troubleshooting steps and the Funny reaction still doesn’t show up, reach out to LinkedIn Support for further help:
- Open your LinkedIn app and tap your profile picture.
- Tap the Settings gear icon.
- Scroll down and tap Help Center.
- Tap Contact Us to explain the missing Funny reaction issue.
LinkedIn Support can look into your account and determine if there’s a deeper problem causing the reaction to not display. They may be able to push a fix for you or escalate the issue if needed.
Use a Different LinkedIn Account
As one final option, attempt logging into LinkedIn with a different account. Create a new test account if needed. This helps determine if the Funny reaction problem is tied to your main account or is app-wide.
If the Funny displays on the other account, there may be a configuration issue with your main profile preventing it from showing. Contact LinkedIn Support for help recovering your account’s full functionality.
But if Funny is missing across accounts, it likely indicates a broader app issue requiring intervention from LinkedIn developers. Notify Support with details so they can address it.
Why Does the LinkedIn Funny Reaction Disappear?
While frustrating, there are a few reasons why LinkedIn’s Funny reaction can inexplicably vanish:
- App bugs: Like any software, the LinkedIn app isn’t immune to glitches. A bug introduced in a recent update could cause reactions to malfunction.
- Syncing issues: Your account may fail to sync the latest reactions properly between devices. Using LinkedIn on desktop could surface reactions missing on mobile.
- Network connectivity: Weak or spotty Internet when loading posts could prevent all reactions from loading. The Funny may temporarily disappear until connectivity improves.
- Overlooked setting: There could be a little-known setting that disables certain reactions. Toggling options off and on may inadvertently bring back Funny.
- Account restrictions: In rare cases, LinkedIn may impose limits on an account caught violating policies. Restricted accounts can lose access to features like Funny reactions.
Fortunately, the steps in this guide should help overcome most Funny reaction issues. And bringing the problem to LinkedIn’s attention will get your account back to full functionality if needed.
Customizing LinkedIn Reactions
When available, the Funny reaction provides a lighthearted way to engage with LinkedIn content. If you want to customize your reactions further, LinkedIn also offers these options:
LinkedIn Premium subscribers can access over 15 exclusive reactions like “This”, “Facts”, “Same”, and “Congrats”. Upgrade to Premium to use these as part of your reactions lineup.
Skin Tone Modifiers
You can hold down on standard reactions like Clapping or Heart to pick a skin tone modifier. This lets you respond in an inclusive way representing your identity.
LinkedIn supports reacting with GIFs to share reactions in a more visual way. Tap GIF under any post to browse options and share.
Take advantage of these customizations once you have the Funny reaction back up and running!
Communicating Effectively on LinkedIn
Reactions are a quick way to engage, but be mindful of how you interact on LinkedIn:
- Use Standard English and grammar. Avoid slang, emojis, or messy punctuation.
- Be positive and additive. React supportively and share insights versus negativity.
- Keep it professional. Remember LinkedIn is the professional social network. Don’t overuse jokes or casual language.
- Build connections. Commenting on posts can lead to new networking contacts.
Following these best practices will ensure you communicate effectively and expand your professional network.
- Check your LinkedIn app version and update if needed to resolve missing reactions.
- Clear your LinkedIn cache and log out and back in to refresh reaction availability.
- Try using LinkedIn on desktop or reinstall your LinkedIn mobile app to reset any issues.
- Keep your operating systems up-to-date for maximum compatibility.
- Contact LinkedIn Support if troubleshooting doesn’t restore your Funny reaction.
- Use different LinkedIn accounts to determine if the issue is profile-specific.
- Customize reactions further with Premium, GIFs, and skin tone modifiers.
- Mind your communication etiquette when reacting and commenting.
With the right troubleshooting, you can get LinkedIn’s Funny reaction back and immerse yourself in engaging professional conversations. Don’t hesitate to leverage LinkedIn’s Help Center if you need assistance resolving any lingering issues.