Are you finding issues with your Instagram app that you are finding your Instagram direct messages not sending? Then you should join us by reading this article to find definite solutions to your issue.
Instagram Direct messages is one of the best features the social media app has as it is used and able to connect with Instagram users by giving them the chance to interact with themselves. Friends communicate on Instagram using the Instagram direct messages feature as well as engaging followers.
Various businesses on Instagram also engage their customers using the direct messages feature. Despite the fact that the Instagram direct messages feature has been a benefit to many users across the world, it is also prone to issues.
The issues that have to do with Instagram direct messages are in different folds. Some of these issues have to do with the user not being able to send messages as well as media to other users.
The user trying to send a message or a media (images, videos, and posts) may receive a” Failed to send” error after not being able to send successfully. Others have an issue on their side where they are not able to receive messages as expected.
Sometimes it also occurs when you have received a message and you have tried to load and view but it is not loading. For this, you may receive a “try again” error or “Couldn’t create thread. We’re sorry, but something went wrong. Please try again”
This guide you will eventually find is for all devices you are using to access the app. It may be iPhone, Android, iPad, or even the web browser. You will definitely find this article very beneficial.
Reasons for the Instagram Messages (DMs) not Sending or Working
If you are facing the issue of Instagram messages not sending and for that matter, why are Instagram messages not sending? Or why are Instagram messages not loading? Beat yourself no more as we take you through the reasons for Instagram messages not sending.
- Instagram system down
- Instagram app cache and data
- Blocked by the receiver
- Suspension by Instagram
- Sending a message to someone you do not follow
- Message deleted by Sender
- Problems on the side of the receiver.
How to Fix Instagram Messages Not Sending or Working
1. Check the Internet Connection
We suggest that the first way to deal with the issue of your Instagram direct messages not sending is to check your internet connection. It may be a result of a low internet connection which is making your Instagram direct messages not showing seen.
You have to check and make sure that you have enough internet connection to access the app. Lack of a strong internet connection gives you very little or no chance to access the app, hence giving you problems like “We couldn’t create thread. We are sorry but something went wrong”.
To rectify this, you should not hesitate to check the strength of your internet connection and this can easily be done by using fast.com to check how fast or slow your internet connection is.
Upon checking the strength of your internet connection and you realize you are having a speed of your network ranging below 3Mbps, then you should find your internet connection very problematic.
You, therefore, have to either connect to a stronger network or upload your network server with enough data allocation. After doing this, try resending the message to check if you still encounter the issue of Instagram direct messages not working.
2. Check the Instagram Server Status
Sometimes the reason why your Instagram direct messages won’t load is not self-inflicted but rather the Instagram server. This is because there are sometimes general glitches that happen in the systems of Instagram, causing all users to get stuck accessing the app.
This may happen when you are trying to log in to the app, upload a feed, send Instagram direct messages, load Instagram direct messages or upload Instagram stories. It happens once in a while but if you are unfortunate and it happens, you may not be too sure if it’s actually just you or a general problem.
For that matter, you should not hesitate to check using Down Detector to check if the system is actually down or not. Search for “Instagram” on the software and check if they serve you with Instagram outage reports in your area.
Aside from this, you can also check Twitter or Facebook to find out if there has been an official communique from Instagram about their app malfunctions.
3. Try Using a VPN to Access Instagram
If you check and it is truly the fault of Instagram that your Instagram direct messages stopped working, then you should find a temporal VPN and use it. As a matter of fact, the conditions of the temporal malfunction of Instagram may not be the entire world but just your region
For this reason, you should find a VPN to use, which will allow you to change your device’s IP address and use a new one, as though you are accessing the Instagram app in a different country.
You can cross-check the least affected countries concerning the issue so that you use your VPN to connect to a different server. To have a VPN that preferably works with the Instagram app, try NordVPN to access the app and successfully send, load, and receive direct messages.
4. Logout Instagram and Sign in Again
After trying all the above options and it is still not working for you, then you should log out of Instagram and log in again. This option will give you the chance to have a fresh Instagram direct message platform to be able to send and receive messages again.
Do this by using the steps given below:
- Go to your Instagram profile.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines at the top right of your profile
- Search and tap on settings
- Scroll down to tap log out of account
- After you’ve been successfully logged out, insert the correct password and username to log in to Instagram.
- Check out if you can now send, receive and load Instagram direct messages.
5. Clear Instagram App Cache and Data
After you log in to the Instagram app and your Instagram direct message is still not working, then we suggest that you should clear the app cache and data. The issue may be a result of hitches caused by the Instagram app bugs.
Clearing them will pave the way for the Instagram app to work correctly. To do this, use the steps given below:
- Close the Instagram app on your phone
- Long press the app and tap on the “App info.”
- Scroll down to look for storage and tap on it
- Scroll down to tap on the clear cache to clear the Instagram app cache.
- Go back to relaunch the app to check whether the issue has been resolved.
If you are using the browser to access your Instagram account, then you should try to clear cookies on the browser rather. To do this, follow the steps given below:
- Launch the browser (Either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge)
- Tap on the three horizontal dots located at the top corner.
- Click on settings
- Click on Privacy & Security and select clear browsing data.
- Tick the boxes next to Cookies and other site data as well as cached images and files
- Click on clear data
- All the cache and cookies will be cleared and you can access Instagram on the browser again.
6. Update or Reinstall the Instagram App to Fix the DM Issues
If you are still facing issues with the Instagram direct messages not receiving even after clearing the Instagram app cache and data or clearing browser cookies and browser history, then you should update the app.
This is because you might be using an outdated version of Instagram that does not permit you to use the app and for that matter, you should update it as soon as possible so that you can log in to the app without facing problems like, “Sorry, there was a problem with your request”.
Below are the steps you can use to update your Instagram app:
- Close all apps running in the background including the Instagram app.
- Go to the Google Play store or app store on your device
- Search for Instagram in the search bar
- Tap on Update to update the app.
- Check to see if the app has been updated successfully and relaunch the app.
- After launching the app, check if you still face the issue.
- Close the Instagram app on your phone
- Long press the app till a sub-window shows and tap on uninstall.
- After successfully uninstalling the app, go to Playstore (for android users) or App store (for iOS users)
- Search for the Instagram app in the search bar.
- Tap on the install section to download the latest version of Instagram on either Playstore or App store.
- Launch the app, and check if you still face the issue of Instagram messages not sending or loading.
7. Login to Instagram on the Instagram Web
After going through all the processes and the issue of Instagram views not appearing, then it may also be the problem of the Instagram app so you should consider launching Instagram with the use of the Instagram web.
By doing this, use the processes recommended as follows:
- Launch the browser on your phone or personal computer.
- Use the address bar to get to the Instagram web and launch it.
- After launching Instagram using the Instagram web, log in to your account and check if you can now see your Instagram story or highlight views.
8. Check if You Follow the User
A user cannot receive a direct message from you when the user has not followed your account. For that matter, you should check if the user has followed you or not. Make sure you have followed the user’s account too and resend the message if have already sent the message.
You might have been blocked by the user, which prevents the user from receiving a message from you. You can do this by following the steps below.
- Launch the Instagram app.
- Go to the Instagram search bar.
- Insert the username of the user.
- Tap on the user’s account and go to the profile.
- On the user’s profile, tap on “Follow”
- Go to the Instagram Direct message section.
- Search for the username of the user and tap on it.
- Send the username a direct message if you will still face Instagram direct messages not sending.
9. Contact Instagram Support Centre
All of the above options on how to fix Instagram direct messages not sending are possible ways to curb the issue and therefore if you still find it very difficult to deal with the challenge of Instagram direct messages not sending, even after going through all the processes highlighted above, then you should not hesitate to contact the Instagram Support Centre.
They aid you to curb the issue in the best way, answering questions like “Why are my Instagram direct messages not sending?” or “Why am I getting ‘something went wrong error’ after sending the Instagram direct message?”.
Visiting their site to seek for help from them will be the best and the farthest you can go to curb the issue. You can do this by contacting them on the app, using the steps below:
- Go to your Instagram profile and tap on the three horizontal lines at the top right of your profile.
- Scroll through the options and select Settings.
3. Scroll through the settings options and tap on Help.
4. Scroll through the Help options and Report a problem.
5. After choosing Report a problem, type your problem of either Instagram direct messages not showing, Instagram direct messages not loading, Instagram direct messages won’t load or Instagram direct messages not working.
Conclusion (Instagram Direct Messages not Sending, Working or Showing up)
This article gives you the highest possible guidelines that you should not hesitate to check out any day to find a better solution or options on how to fix Instagram direct messages not sending, and know the reasons that caused you trouble over the issue.
As highlighted in the article already, it may mostly be a result of your internet connectivity, and the Instagram system being down among others.
If your Instagram Direct Message notifications are not working, you can take a look at this article to learn more.