We know how frustrating it can be when you can’t log in to your favorite streaming service. So we’ve put together a list of steps for you to try that should get you back on track in no time.
If that fails, though, take a look at our list of common sign-in issues and our troubleshooting tips for getting around them.
Other HBO Max users experience one form of these login issues or another:
- Some users can’t login to HBO Max with ATT, Aple TV or YouTube TV.
- Others can’t login to HBO Max account with Hulu, Roku or their Amazon credentials.
- Yet other HBO Max users can’t log in at any time: sign-in is not working on Xfinity.
No matter which sign-in problem you’re currently encountering…
Here are 11 Fixes when you can’t log in to HBO Max or when sign-in is not working.
1. Check your data connection
The first thing you should try is to check your internet connection. If you’re having trouble connecting to HBO Max and are using a mobile device, make sure that you have a strong data connection. You can do this by checking the strength of your Wi-Fi signal.
You can check your the strength of your data connection with an online tool such as fast.com.
Although your internet speed should not be 73 Mbps like the one above, a moderate signal strength would be ideal.
If your device is connected to the internet, but still says that it can’t log in to HBO Max, then move on to step two below:
2. Uninstall the HBO Max App
- Go to your device’s app drawer and tap and hold the HBO Max app icon until it starts to wobble.
- Tap Uninstall, then confirm by tapping Uninstall again.
- Reboot your device if you’re prompted to do so—this will clear any residual data from your device and allow the HBO Max app to run properly when you reinstall it.
3. Check if HBO Max is Down
Whether you’re trying to log in, watch a show or just get on the HBO Max website, you may see a message saying that it’s down. Below are some ways to check if HBO Max is down:
- Check the HBO Max Website
- Check the HBO Max App
- Test Your Device’s Internet Connection
- Test Your Network Connection (if applicable)
4. Re-sign in to your HBO Max account
If you’re having trouble logging in to HBO Max, the first step is to re-sign in.
Go to the HBO Max website and sign in with your email address and password.
Click Sign In.
If you can’t remember your password or username, go to the login page and tap Forgot Password? Enter the email address associated with your account and follow the instructions to reset it.
There’s a likelihood you’re trying to log in with the wrong login credentials; either
- a wrong or non-existing email address
- a wrong password or
- a wrong email and password combination
5. Reset Your HBO Max Password
If you have forgotten your HBO Max password and having trouble signing in, all hope is not lost.
You can simply reset your password by following some simple instructions.
Simply click on sign in. On the lHBO Max ogin page, click on “Forgot Password.”
Enter your email address into the email text area and submit.
Check your email’s inbox for a link to reset your password.
An alternative to resetting your password is to sign in using any of HBO Max’s providers.
Simply choose the provider you subscribed with and you’re good to go!
6. Reinstall HBO Max App
The first thing to try is reinstalling the HBO Max app.
If you haven’t done so already, make sure to delete and reinstall HBO Max. To do that:
- Remove HBO Max from your phone or tablet. You can do this by going to Settings > Apps > find and select the HBO Max app > remove it from your device.
- Uninstall/reinstall through a computer if you’re unable to delete it directly or are using an Android device that doesn’t support deleting apps directly in settings (like Samsung devices).
When reinstalling, be sure not to use the same Google Play Store account as before; instead, create a new one with another email address (if possible) and then follow the steps above again—but in reverse order—starting with uninstalling/removing the app first before installing it again later on!
7. Check for HBO Max app updates
If you’ve run into this issue, the first thing to do is check for app updates in Google Play Store. While this seems like a simple solution, many users who have updated their HBO Max app have been able to log in afterward.
If you haven’t updated your HBO Max app recently, that could be why it’s not working. To update the app:
- Open Google Play Store on your phone or tablet.
- Tap Menu (the three dots at the top right of any screen) > My Apps & Games > All Apps.
- Tap the Update All button at the top right (or just the Update button next to apps with an available update), then follow the instructions provided by Google Play Store. Once everything has been updated, try logging in again!
8. Clear HBO Max app cache and data
Clearing the HBO Max app cache can fix the login issue in some cases.
Clearing the app’s cache is similar to clearing your browser’s cache: It removes temporary files stored on your device that may be causing problems.
To clear the HBO Max app cache:
Open Google Play Store on your phone or tablet.
Tap Menu (the three dots at the top right of any screen) > My Apps & Games > All Apps.
Tap the HBO Max app and tap the Clear Cache button at the top right (or just the Clear Data button next to apps with available data).
9. Delete and recreate your profile
- Delete and recreate your profile:
- If you’re using an Apple or Android device, delete the HBO Max app and reinstall it.
- Log in to HBO Max with a different account (or create a new one).
- Create a new profile that includes more information than the default “First” name and email address, such as the city where you live, age range, and favorite genres of movies/shows.
10. Change your sign-in info (if available) or confirm HBO Max account email is active
If you have changed your password and are still unable to log in, try using the new one. If that does not work, confirm HBO Max account email is active. If it is not, you will need to re-activate it.
If you haven’t changed your password, but can’t sign in because you believe your HBO Max email address has been deactivated or disabled—or if there is some other issue with the account—try signing in with a different email address.
11. Use a different device or browser to log in and see if the issue persists
If your HBO Max login is not working, you can try a couple of different things in order to troubleshoot the issue.
- Use a different device or browser to log in and see if the issue persists. If this works, then it is likely that it was a problem with your device or browser settings. Make sure that all devices are up-to-date and restart them if necessary.
Apart from a mobile device, HBO Max is available on:
- LG Smart TVs
- Chrome OS
- iPhone & iPad
- Amazon Fire Tablet
- VIZIO SmartCast TVs
- Android Phone & Tablet
- Samsung TV
- Windows PC
- Game consoles
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Try connecting from a different location if possible, since there could be an issue with your Wi-Fi connection or internet service provider (ISP). Also try changing the time of day when you connect so that there aren’t too many users trying to access the site at once; this can cause issues as well.
12. Contact customer support and troubleshoot with an expert
If you’re having trouble logging in to HBO Max, here’s what you should do:
- Contact customer support. The fastest way to get help is by using the HBO Max contact us page (instead of calling them on the phone). Use this page if you don’t need to speak with an expert right away and just want some advice or troubleshooting tips to get things running smoothly.
HBO Max is a great streaming service, and we know that it can be frustrating when you can’t log in or watch your favorite shows.
Hopefully, the troubleshooting steps above will help you get back on track with your HBO Max account so that you can keep enjoying all the content available to subscribers.
If none of these steps works for you, contact customer support and troubleshoot with an expert who can help resolve any issues that may be preventing access to HBO Max content across devices and browsers